Wood Stove and HVAC Return Duct Proximity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselscout80

Dec 2, 2011
SC
I want to install a wood stove in our home's basement.

My basement HVAC return duct/grill/filter is in the ceiling of the basement.

Can I install a wood stove directly under the HVAC return duct? My thinking is that we can run our heat pumps blower fan in the constant on setting and circulate the heat from the wood stove throughout the house.

Is this possible?
Is this ok per code?
Is this a good or bad idea?

Do I need to provide the wood stove a fresh air intake out side the basement?

Location is SC.

Most mechanical codes I've heard of require a minimum 10' horizontal separation between a solid fuel-burning appliance and a return duct. Check with your local code folks to be sure. Has to do with fire safety/fume propagation/survival. Important stuff. Rick

I may have to move the return duct to get the 10'.

My upstairs return filter is 20"x30" and the HVAC unit is a 5 ton heat pump and the total home is 2700 sqft (1920 sqft upstair).

The current basement return duct is a 10"x20" filter opening attached to the main return line.

I can run it between the floor joist, but can I fit a big enough duct between 2"x10" floor joist on 16" centers (basically a 9.25"x14.5").

What size return ducting and vent is needed for 780 sqft?

If one run in the space between the joists is not enough would it work to do two runs side by side to a common grate/filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.