WOOD STOVE BASE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
elkimmeg said:
T
Now if Vog wants to get me a labeled and listed EPA certified stove for examining and evaluation then on to the donor program. I can move either one of mine and place theirs in operations

So Web if you have a connection there I'm receptive

Ha, they only are in touch with ONE higher power. I have absolutely no idea what they are up to......personally, I think the wife would not be pleased with the styling of that Durango anyway.....I think that one was not only made in china, but designed on a napkin in the local diner.

Amazing things you learn here.
So, stoves can cost 114.00 bucks? crazy.
and 96,000 btu's again, crazy.
Makes me wonder if I had shopped a bit more, what I would have found.
so are there stoves for 800-1000 that are really good?

Vermontster said:
Amazing things you learn here.
So, stoves can cost 114.00 bucks? crazy.
and 96,000 btu's again, crazy.
Makes me wonder if I had shopped a bit more, what I would have found.
so are there stoves for 800-1000 that are really good?

The Englander and CFM / VC "budget" stoves fall into that class and are reputedly very good quality, function well, etc. While there have been a few problems reported with them, I wouldn't say that they show up in "problem posts" in any significant number. AFAIK, ALL of the Englanders and CFM stoves are UL listed and EPA approved - for whatever that is worth. They are also made in the US or Canada if that is a concern.

My chimney setup precludes me using any of Englander or CFM's current models (I need a rear exit) but if it were possible for me to use one of them, I would have absolutely no hesitation about putting one in the house.

The only complaint I hear people make about them is that they don't like their "spartan" appearance - This is a combination of the fact that plate steel stoves tend to be plainer looking and that part of the way to make a "budget" price stove is to keep it simple and leave out the fancy trim.

As far as I can tell, the "build quality" on the Englanders is as good as any of the more expensive models, what you get for the money when you spend more is primarly aesthetics, a few more "bells and whistles" and possibly the alleged benefits of the fancier materials like cast iron or soapstone. Those may well be worth it to some, but if all you want is to turn splits into BTU's I see no reason to spend more.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.