Wood Stove CFM FW240007

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I bought a wood stove CFM FW240007 several years ago at Lowes her in Pittsburgh Pa. I was using it only a few hours a day. This year I would like to have it run 24 hours a day as according to my calculation will be saving money on my heating bill.
The stove is located in a finished basement. My living space is 660 square feet in the basement and 660 square feet on the main floor. In the past my house would be nice an warm when the stove was on.
My questions are as follow :
1) Can I run the stove 24 hours a day?
2) Will I have enough burn time at night for the night or will I have to reload at night?
3) Is it possible to make to stove more efficient?
Thanks in advance for all the help guys. Damien

Welcome to the forum . . . to answer your first question . . . yes . . . many of us here are 24/7 burners.

how do I know the burn time on this stove

There is no cookie cutter answer to that question. Too many variables. Variety of wood, stove temps, insulation value of home, etc.

There is no cookie cutter answer to that question. Too many variables. Variety of wood, stove temps, insulation value of home, etc.

What he said . . . in addition there is the question of the definition of "burn time." When I bought my stove I pictured "burn time" as the time where the firebox was full of lots of flames, pumping out lots of heat . . . I now think the manufacturer (and perhaps most manufacturers) consider the definition as the time from when you first light the fire or reload until the time when the last coal goes out . . . other folks here have come up with their own definition . . . I think most folks would say they feel burn time is the time from when you get meaningful heat from the stove until the time when the stove is not putting out meaningful heat . . . some folks will even set a temperature instead of using that subjective term "meaningful."

What I wanted to know is if I fill the stove completely with wood when I go to bed will it still be running the next morning. Or will I have to get up during the night and refill it.

1. Yes I did read the posts but I still do not understand all this is still new to me

What I wanted to know is if I fill the stove completely with wood when I go to bed will it still be running the next morning. Or will I have to get up during the night and refill it.

Again - very subjective. Do you need the stove top to run at 650F or 450F. At 650 - no way. At 450F - maybe. Are you using silver maple for fuel or osage - or maybe white oak?? Each one will have its own burn characteristics.

ETA - generally speaking, it will take north of 2.0 cuft of stove to carry an overnight fire. And even that is subjective.

Last edited:
Since my stove is around 1.25 cubt then I will need to reload over night. You more or less answered my question. Thanks.
I guess this winter I will have a better answer. Again thank you for all the help

At 1.25 you can count on it (unless you can get your hands on some nuclear pellets;))

And welcome to the forum. Stick around - tons of good info and peeps.

nuclear pellets in a stove ...............I do not think my Spouse and Neighbors would enjoy that very much................lol. Thanks Jags
If I were to upgrade the stove to a 2 cubf any recommendations...............

nuclear pellets in a stove ...............I do not think my Spouse and Neighbors would enjoy that very much................lol. Thanks Jags
If I were to upgrade the stove to a 2 cubf any recommendations...............
Lots of recommendations. I would highly suggest starting a new thread in the stove room. That way you won't hear a one sided conversation from me and you will get many more responses from the masses.
May I suggest starting with some of the basics. What are you heating, layout, insulation value, etc. The masses can get you narrowed down to a short list.

Another good place to start:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/read-before-posting-or-answering-which-new-stove-to-buy.115094/

Ok I will do that thanks for the advice really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.