Wood Stove Chimney Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whrlkng

Nov 2, 2008
S. Appalachians
A quick chimney question, pardon if this covered somewhere else, didn't see anything:

Would a trap-door for cleaning out creosote affect the draft characteristics of a chimney?

My Specifics: Old (20? yrs) King sheet-metal stove, 6" outlet pipe , two 90 degree bends before going into wall, small exterior masonry chimney with 6" square flue, trap-door at ground level ~4 ft below entrance of pipe from stove ( trap closes, but doesn't quite seal air-tight when closed ). Not the greatest set-up or resulting draft, but it does well enough for me in my climate not to bother changing it to a straight hole-shot through the roof.

My gut feeling is the trap door makes no difference being below the main exhaust flow resistance, just wanted to know if it makes any difference one way or the other if it was sealed tight, cracked or wide-open.

Makes all of the difference in the world. Seal that sucker up. Combustion air is drawn through a wood stove by the chimney draft created by temperature differential. The chimney is going to draw air from the point of least resistance and anywhere it can get it. Air being sucked in through that door leak is just air diluting the exhaust gases and crapping up your chimney instead of being drawn through the stove for combustion.

Silicone caulk works very well for sealing up clean-out doors in chimneys.

BrotherBart said:
Makes all of the difference in the world. Seal that sucker up. Combustion air is drawn through a wood stove by the chimney draft created by temperature differential. The chimney is going to draw air from the point of least resistance and anywhere it can get it. Air being sucked in through that door leak is just air diluting the exhaust gases and crapping up your chimney instead of being drawn through the stove for combustion.

Silicone caulk works very well for sealing up clean-out doors in chimneys.

Ah I see!!! ( said the smoke-blinded man ). I never considered the flue temp. dilution before (doh!) only worried about the resistance of the bends and the main flue being outside. Might be all I need to achieve utter draft heaven, we'll find out. Now, I'd still want to have access with the door occasionally ( even though it would probably take me 20 years to fill up the bottom with cleaned out 'sote) so when you're talking about caulk are you meaning 'closing the gaps on the fit' ( ala weatherstripping on a door ) or 'hermetically sealed' ( like one's final resting place ). The trap-door is a swinging cast-iron type job, fairly old, and just has a crude friction type latch that just doesn't catch very good, so it pops back open slightly if left to it's own devices. I'll look closer at how the fit is when it's closed, I might be able to get it sealed pretty good just by propping something heavy against it. Perhaps some of that braided-tape strip stuff I've seen on the inside of stove doors (or some similar thing) for any leftover cracks?

Or duct tape it. I sealed one once by holding a plastic bag over the opening and slamming it shut over the bag creating a gasket.

Glob a whole bunch of silicone sealer all around the inside perimeter of the door frame, mash the door shut the best you can, smooshing it into that bed of sealant, engage the latch for what that's worth, then back your pickup truck up against it and leave it set for about 24 hours or so. If you ever need to get it back open, you can once again employ the truck in the other direction. Rick

EDIT: I don't mean to imply that you can't use the truck in the meantime for other things, once the sealant has cured, unless you really used way too much and glued your truck to your house.

OK, thanks all. Any of those methods seems like it will work just fine and ( like firewood ) I will choose the option that is most readily available. I can't really get a vehicle next to the trap door cuz it's sort of a narrow space, but I'm sure I can come up with some other form of pointless excessive force like a modified riding lawn mower, acetylene torch, come-along (always good for Darwinian adventures) or some mid-grade explosive. The duct tape ( The Wonder Tool ) and plastic bag methods ( I knew those 500 Wal-Mart bags would come in handy... )also appeal to me, as they will really go well with the rest of the motif and decor of my house ( and neighborhood ).

Where the hell have you been? We really need more of your humor and attitude around here. Welcome, and stick around! Rick

fossil said:
Where the hell have you been? We really need more of your humor and attitude around here. Welcome, and stick around! Rick

Well, I am a hermit, after all. So, I've been in hibernation. In a mud and sod hut. Thanks and I will do that.

PS: speaking of pointless displays of excessive force, you sound like you may enjoy these YouTube vids ( especially recommended are any vids involving heavy equipment.) These guys really know the value of spare time:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=raceinsnake&view=videos

Status
Not open for further replies.