wood stove chimney temp too low?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown8988

Nov 18, 2012
Hello i am new here and new to woodstoves.

I recently built a house and installed a wood furnace. My question is that the thermometer i bought that is magnetic and sticks to the stack on top of the stove only reads 200 degrees most of the time. Is this ok? because the thermometer says creosote range. thanks
http://www.englanderstoves.com/28-3500.html

200*F seems low to me, I'm guessing here, but is the chimney double or triple wall insulated pipe?

Also, what is your confidence in the accuracy of the thermometer?

Cheers!

If it's single wall flue pipe, your probably in the 400 degree range. Doesn't sound bad, just keep an eye on the chimney and sweep when needed. Don't hold me on this, but I'm pretty sure the temperature settings are for stove top and not flue pipe. Usually whatever reads out on the external flue pipe is around double inside. If your worried about creosote, burn seasoned wood (1-2 years depending on species) and keep a good hot fire. Welcome to hearth.

Starting at the top of the stove i have 2' of single wall to elbow then 2' of single wall to the wall thimble. Then outside its 9' of triple wall then 15* elbow then 3' piece then 15* elbow and then 5' more pipe to cap.

The thermometer goes up high when i have the ash door open to start the fire but then steadies out at 200ish because i close the draft to about halfway once wood has a good start. I cant run it wide open its 80 in the house at half

Sounds like it's heating well. Don't make the mistake of fully loading the furnace, then closing it down to keep the temperature in the house down. Doing this is a recipe for creosote. Burn smaller hot fires and adjust the load size based on heat output. I can't comment about the chimney setup, but it sounds like it would be a pain to sweep.

Well it is tapped into heat ducts. I can do small hotter fires when home but what would you suggest during the day? I usually load it up, get it going good and then close down the draft so it lasts awhile. But it sounds like i shouldnt be doing this

Try experimenting when your home to determine what works for you. There's nothing wrong with trying to get a long burn while your away, just get it burning well then close it down to where you don't snuff out the fire. There's alot of users on here that have a furnace like yours. They can give you some tips to get the most from the furnace.

Status
Not open for further replies.