Wood stove cooking!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
So, this thread is inspired by Clownfish's response about baking veggies in the coals of his stove. Anyone cook on (or in) their wood stove? Any recipes or ideas to try? I've never actually tried it aside from warming something up on the top of our old stove, but it sounds like fun!

The occaisional Mett, or hot dog for the kids, on foil of course. I have browned a lot of breads/bagels. Nothing major though.

One of the coolest things about the Harmon Oakwood is the optional cooking grill. Manditory equipment in my book, I grill on it a couple times a week.

I recently bought a used book off ebay called "The country journal woodburners cookbook" how to cook and bake and save energy on an airtight wood stove. By Janet Bachand Chadwick. I havent read it through yet but it looks good. I bet if you check ebay under wood stoves you might be able to find another one or order it through inter library loan.

A couple years ago I made some mac and cheese on a wood cooking stove for the wife.
I had to cold start it and I didn't know how to build a really good fire
It took a lot longer than propane.
When I really get into the kitchen in a couple years, I'm going to get a combo cooking stove, wood and propane as the starting point.

Wife makes baked potatoes just about every week. My Uncle is the "master for me" of this process. He made Clam Chowder this morning for tomorrow. Make lots of roasts, stews, etc. on the woodstove top. I think that anything you would make on the crock pot try on the woodstove in cast iron. The plus is the cost vs. the oven. I have seen a few posts somewhere on the oven tops for the stove. That is something I would love to try and build. If anyone has plans, please either email, PM or post.
Chad

We have useed an unglazed ceramic roaster to bake bread. You presoak the porous roaster and put coals under and on top. The results are most impressive. The stove heat needs to be moderate, not overly hot. The bread pan goes in the roaster. Guess and get lucky on the overall cook time.

share the recipe?

Ill share if you will.

i LOVE chili, and have a couple of well liked recipes. ( one white, one green)

wrenchmonster said:
I cook chili all the time on top of my stove.

-Kevin

ozarkjeep said:
share the recipe?

Ill share if you will.

i LOVE chili, and have a couple of well liked recipes. ( one white, one green)

Well, I'm pretty much a fly by the seat of your pants type of guy when it comes to chili. I have some recipes but nothing out of the ordinary. Chili is guys food, hard to mess up. Now by some standards chili has no beans, but for my taste I enjoy having the beans.

Common ingredients I use:

Meat, either cubed up steak, ground beef, chicken
Crushed tomatos
Tomato puree
Fresh tomatos
Black beans, or Black and Kidney, sometimes garbanzo beans
Yellow Onion
Red Pepper, or Red and Green Pepper
Garlic
Chili Powder
Paprika
Salt and Pepper
Crushed Red Peppers or diced Jalepenos
Water, a tablespoon of Olive oil
Corn

Really it just depends on what I have around. I've also used recipes from various websites. There are literally TONS of them out there... I've yet to be disappointed. Some of them I've shyed away from, but you can usually tell from the ingredients list. I'll usually start with a veggie chili recipe and add meat to it. Though I like veggie chili I never have it if I'm the cook.

-Kevin

not yet. i want to soon .
perhaps grilled cheese.

i made pasta on grill outside in january once though.
in hindsight i should have used a pot that allowed me to close the top... took over an hour just to get the water boiled.
had no stove gas, wanted pasta.

Don't forget that the top of your wood stove is an excellent place for making apple butter. Also works great when you are having leftovers. Just sit anything on the stove until it warms.

I was out pushing snow around this morning and came in about an hour after we normally eat. No problem as the wife had set everything on the wood stove and I enjoyed a hot meal.

Not many Sundays in the winter that we are not cooking something on the wood stove.My (our)favorite is Stone Soup. We start with water and lentils and then...........its always diffrent and always good...
Mike

How about a pot full of apple cider, ad a few Cinnamon sticks, and later on ad some peach shnaps and rum!

I'm willing to try it. How do you bake a potato... wrap it in AU foil and put it on top of the coals? For how long?

My wife puts them in a cast iron pot with lid on the top of the stove. She wraps them individually in foil, but I think it would work to line the bottom with a bit of roughed up foil. Use something as the skins stick if you don't.
They do take a while, 2-3 hours at least, but it saves the electricity.

N1ST said:
I'm willing to try it. How do you bake a potato... wrap it in AU foil and put it on top of the coals? For how long?

I just tried it tonight, wrapped in aluminum foil, 45 minutes was a little to long, I'm going to try 30 min. next time. The pork chops on my grill insert came out perfect after 5 minutes on each side, taste just like cooked on a open fire. Well, I guess it kinda was.

Gotcha, 30 minutes. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

lately ive been cooking sweet potatoes in the fireplace.poke some holes in them wrap it in foil and place it beside the coals.tasty and you dont need any toppings.i also tried pork tenderloin.some spices,wraped it in double foil.around 40 min it was done.really good.was a little brown but very moist.last night i took a bunch of coals out and cooked a prime rib steak over them.i had alot of coals very hot so it kinda seared it.gave a really good taste.did it by accident.but it was was very tender.

hmm hot apple cider and cinnamon.i know what im doing tomorrow tx

Status
Not open for further replies.