Wood Stove Fire Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arabians1

Dec 13, 2010
Central OK
I have an older King wood stove in my rent house. I grew up with a wood stove and loved it but having difficulty with this one. When I have a fire burning, I cannot keep it burning unless the door is cracked. Why am I not getting sufficient air flow? I've heard that this can be caused if your chimeny flu is not tall enough (outside your roof). Any suggestions?

Welcome, Arabians1. Possible causes: 1. Chimney not tall enough (search 3-2-10 rule) 2. Chimney clogged 3. Chimney wrong diameter (too big or too small) 4. Too many elbows in chimney 5. Wood isn't dry enough
Give details of your setup...even better is to take pics of stove, pipe and chimney.

dougand3 said:
Welcome, Arabians1. Possible causes: 1. Chimney not tall enough (search 3-2-10 rule) 2. Chimney clogged 3. Chimney wrong diameter (too big or too small) 4. Too many elbows in chimney 5. Wood isn't dry enough
Give details of your setup...even better is to take pics of stove, pipe and chimney.

+1 . . . more info is needed on the set up of the chimney, when wood was split, when chimney was last cleaned, etc.

And what are you burning for wood? How long has it been since it was split?

Status
Not open for further replies.