Wood stove for installation in front of ZC fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John_S

Sep 29, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Hello,

We are preparing to purchase the Regency Hearth Heater to install in front of our ZC fireplace and would like to know if there are any other options with larger fire boxes. It seems that the hearth heater is just a stove that vents from the rear, therefore I would think that any other wood stove that vents from the rear would work. Is that a correct assumption? Does anyone know of any other stoves that vent from the rear? I have not been able to find any online.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I went through this last year, there are only a couple of stoves that are rated for your application. The Hearthstone Homestead is one of them and I'm very happy with mine. Use the search function for further.

There have been postings that Jotul has approved their stoves for this application.

Thank you very much for the information, this is exactly what I was looking for. I think I am going to go with the Hearthstone Homestead. Scott you will be getting an e-mail from me shortly. Thanks again!

To get technical there are plenty of stoves that cloud gon in there but there are no chimneys rated to take one out on the market the chimneys on ZC fireplaces are rated to 1700 deg and at this point there is no universal liner testing that would allow you to upgrade the chimney to 2100 deg the only right way to do this is remove the fireplace and chimney and start new.

Stoveguy,

Are you stating that a Homestead with a stainless steel liner would not work? I previously had an installer stop by and said that the Regency Heart Heater with a stainless steel liner would work. Please advise.

it would not work a stainless steel liner has a listing for ul1777 which is for a masonary re-line only if you came into are store we would tell you cloud not do that. from a saftety stand point we would not sell you a stove for that install

I thought the mfg. documentation was considered the final word. If not, is Hearthstone risking a lawsuit? This is how the docs present it:

Installing in a Fireplace

You can install the Homestead in a masonry or zero
clearance fireplace. For a rear exit, you must first remove
and remount the flue exit. Using a 3¤8 wrench or socket,
simply remove the four bolts that hold the flue exit in
place. (Be careful not to drop the flue exit when all the
bolts are out.) Rotate the flue exit 180 degrees and
reinstall the four bolts, tightening them snugly.

Before installing the stove in a factory-built fireplace, the
fireplace must have the following characteristics:
1. Listed per UL 127 or ULC S610.
2. Include a full height listed chimney liner meeting type
HT requirements (2100° Fahrenheit) per UL 1777
(United States) or ULC S635 (Canada) standards.

Thank you for the responses. I spoke with an installer here in MI and he said that we could install the Hearthstone Homestead and that there is nothing to be concerned about. Should I question him more about the chimney liner? Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.