Wood Stove Grates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 17, 2020
Western MA
I'd like to hear your opinions on either steel or cast iron grates that fit in your wood stove. I see the advantage to using one in a fireplace, but is there any benefit to using one in a wood stove? Have you used one? Did it help in any way? Go wherever you want to go with your answer.

If there ISN'T a grate in the stove as marketed by the manufacturer, it isn't needed.
Using one in a newer stove is inadvisable, since it was not tested with one in it.
Your home, your call.

Many newer stove manuals specifically advise against adding a grate.

I'd like to hear your opinions on either steel or cast iron grates that fit in your wood stove. I see the advantage to using one in a fireplace, but is there any benefit to using one in a wood stove? Have you used one? Did it help in any way? Go wherever you want to go with your answer.
Not quite a direct answer to your question, but I use a "burnable grate" when I lay up a fire in my Oslo. I lay two 11" pieces, about 1" square, north-south one on either side of the front air intake and then then load my splits east-west on those pieces. I do all of this from the side load door. Then I light a top-down fire ... having those bottom pieces up just a bit really seems to let the air in below the wood and it just fires right up. Depending on your stove - this may or may not work the same for you.