Wood stove heat exchanger idea - question on finned tubing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_NH

Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
Central NH
Hi All -

I searched the forums for any info on finding a manufacturer of small finned tubing (like the copper / aluminum element used in hot water baseboard but smaller). I'm looking for element that is roughly 1 1/2" x 1 1/2".

Any chance anyone has seen this used or know of a source to get it?

I've been working on a plan to extract heat from my wood stove and transfer it to other areas of the house. If there is interest - I can reply to this post with a full break-down of the plan.....you guys could probably give me some pointers based on your experience.

Thanks,

Scott

What's to be the working fluid going through your tubes...air, water, other? Rick

I hear wheels turning :p

My Mom had a coal stove here in the house in the 70's. It was a big porcelin covered, cast iron beast. Firebox to the left, oven in the middle bread warmer to the right. 6 grids for cooking. AND it had a hook up on the side to heat hot water, if needed. I don't know how much it could heat, but I figure it was alot, because that stove kept 1500 sq of this house warm all winter, from November - April. I'm talking tank tops & shorts.

*Edited because I hit send to quickly*

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
My Mom had a coal stove here in the house in the 70's. It was a big porcelin covered, cast iron beast. Firebox to the left, oven in the middle bread warmer to the right. 6 grids for cooking. AND it had a hook up on the side to heat hot water, if needed. I don't know how much it could heat, but I figure it was alot, because that stove kept 1500 sq of this house warm all winter, from November - April.

And would probably bake biscuits that were to die for. %-P

And would probably bake biscuits that were to die for.

Yes, Sir, it absolutely did :p Strawberry jam (home made) is still my favorite !

It was great for bread, and roasts, too !

Plus laundry drying (rotating line hung up over the walls, which were 12', still are). Hang it up at night, dry by the morning.

I dont think you could heat enough water to heat a room or space .You would be better off blowing hot air.There is a heat sink on ebay that looks cool .I think it would be good to heat hot water for the sink or shower. I was thinking about hooking my stove to my hot water heater. I just run a fan in he room with the wood stove ant it moves the heat real good.

Status
Not open for further replies.