1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood Stove/Heater made by Mennonite Community en Mexico

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by pyronut, Jun 8, 2011.

1. pyronut

pyronut Member

Loc:
    El paso, TX
    I saw this the following stove on Craigslist and was wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of how these perform and work. The price is right, but I'm not sure of the quality or performance. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Here is the following ad:

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/fuo/2427144370.html

NEW WOOD BURNING HEATER
    HOLDS 23" LOGS

HEIGHT WITH STAND 39"
    LENGHT 29"
    WIDTH 25"

The heater was manufactured by the Mennonite Coommunity In Mexico. The flue is 6". It is brand new.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jimbom

jimbom Combustion Analyzer

Loc:
    Missouri Ozarks
    I have never seen one. If I were putting it in my house, I and the insurance company would want it to be listed by UL.
  3. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    I would want to know if it is epa rated (which I doubt) but it is a nice looking stove..

Ray
  4. Fsappo

Fsappo New Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    Never heard of them. Not a bad looking stove
  5. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    I'd probably plunk it in the same category as those Amish fireplaces which are on the market. Which I can only imagine are looked at as the "Amish (wink wink, nudge nudge) fireplace" by the marketing department, as the fireplace runs on electricity, however most Amish outright shun the use of electricity or use it only for the most important necessities.

Likewise, the Mennonites - at least around here - will use some basic modern technology, like a car. Though the car is usually a basic model, black, plain steel wheels, and all the chrome is blacked out. So it seems kind of ironic they would make a stove - which usually tend to be plain black - but embellish it with a bright body and shiny/chrome trim and doors.

They may be using the name, but I seriously doubt true Mennonites built that stove. It would be similar if you went to look at an American Indian tee-pee and found it to look like the spire on the Chrysler Building and with an Art Deco theme throughout. The form is there, but the execution doesn't match up!
  6. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    Mennonites...could be a last name, not a religious sect. Sounds like a Lithuanian name to me.
  7. MishMouse

MishMouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Verndale, MN
    Actually the American Indian tee-pee would have a label "made in China", just like the American flags for the fourth of July.
  8. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    Check Wikipedia...it's a Protestant denomination, not a sect.
  9. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    my bad, no offense intended.
  10. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    My maternal grandparents were Mennonites. Born in America to German immigrants in the late 19th century. If my grandfather was alive today, he'd tell you that this stove is a non-starter for installation in his home unless it's UL listed and EPA certified. I never, ever, argued with my grandfather...I still don't. Rick
  11. pyronut

pyronut Member

Loc:
    El paso, TX
    Thanks for the responses so far. I was not looking to use this in our home, but as a outside stove/ fireplace. Does anyone see any problems using this outdoors?
  12. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    No problem for an outside stove. Rust would be the number one concern but with the low humidity in El Paso, not so bad. Draft will be a problem and it many be necessary to remove any baffle in the stove to establish a decent draft with the short chimney you would have outdoors.
  13. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Looks like they edited the post and took out the "made by Mennonite community."

Depending on how its built it looks to be a nice garage stove.