Wood Stove/Heater made by Mennonite Community en Mexico

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyronut

Apr 5, 2011
El paso, TX
I saw this the following stove on Craigslist and was wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of how these perform and work. The price is right, but I'm not sure of the quality or performance. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Here is the following ad:

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/fuo/2427144370.html

NEW WOOD BURNING HEATER
HOLDS 23" LOGS

HEIGHT WITH STAND 39"
LENGHT 29"
WIDTH 25"

The heater was manufactured by the Mennonite Coommunity In Mexico. The flue is 6". It is brand new.

I have never seen one. If I were putting it in my house, I and the insurance company would want it to be listed by UL.

Pyro Nut said:
I saw this the following stove on Craigslist and was wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of how these perform and work. The price is right, but I'm not sure of the quality or performance. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Here is the following ad:

http://elpaso.en.craigslist.org/fuo/2427144370.html

NEW WOOD BURNING HEATER
HOLDS 23" LOGS

HEIGHT WITH STAND 39"
LENGHT 29"
WIDTH 25"

The heater was manufactured by the Mennonite Coommunity In Mexico. The flue is 6". It is brand new.

I would want to know if it is epa rated (which I doubt) but it is a nice looking stove..

Ray

I'd probably plunk it in the same category as those Amish fireplaces which are on the market. Which I can only imagine are looked at as the "Amish (wink wink, nudge nudge) fireplace" by the marketing department, as the fireplace runs on electricity, however most Amish outright shun the use of electricity or use it only for the most important necessities.

Likewise, the Mennonites - at least around here - will use some basic modern technology, like a car. Though the car is usually a basic model, black, plain steel wheels, and all the chrome is blacked out. So it seems kind of ironic they would make a stove - which usually tend to be plain black - but embellish it with a bright body and shiny/chrome trim and doors.

They may be using the name, but I seriously doubt true Mennonites built that stove. It would be similar if you went to look at an American Indian tee-pee and found it to look like the spire on the Chrysler Building and with an Art Deco theme throughout. The form is there, but the execution doesn't match up!

Mennonites...could be a last name, not a religious sect. Sounds like a Lithuanian name to me.

Actually the American Indian tee-pee would have a label "made in China", just like the American flags for the fourth of July.

Delta-T said:
Mennonites...could be a last name, not a religious sect. Sounds like a Lithuanian name to me.

Check Wikipedia...it's a Protestant denomination, not a sect.

DanCorcoran said:
Delta-T said:

Check Wikipedia...it's a Protestant denomination, not a sect.

my bad, no offense intended.

My maternal grandparents were Mennonites. Born in America to German immigrants in the late 19th century. If my grandfather was alive today, he'd tell you that this stove is a non-starter for installation in his home unless it's UL listed and EPA certified. I never, ever, argued with my grandfather...I still don't. Rick

Thanks for the responses so far. I was not looking to use this in our home, but as a outside stove/ fireplace. Does anyone see any problems using this outdoors?

No problem for an outside stove. Rust would be the number one concern but with the low humidity in El Paso, not so bad. Draft will be a problem and it many be necessary to remove any baffle in the stove to establish a decent draft with the short chimney you would have outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.