Wood stove humidifiers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
If you're looking for a steamer to put on your wood stove. Lowe's has them for 9.97. That's alot cheaper than the 30.00 I've seen them online for. Now if I could only find a metal can for my ashes that didn't cost 20 bux

Check out your local farm and feed store. You can get small galv. steel buckets with a tight fitting lid cheap.

Matt

Robbie, that is pretty much what we use. Actually ours used to be a sap bucket for making maple syrup. It's kind of beat up but that's okay as it works just fine. After the ashes are cooled we then store them in barrels and then dump them in the garden next spring just before tilling.

Cowboy Coffee pot
You can pour a cup of tea from it, make hot cocoa or a pot of coffee if the power is out.

Looks better than anything I have ever had on a woodstove too.

Google it up
Here is one place
http://www.coffeemaker-outlet.com/percolators.htm

karl said:
If you're looking for a steamer to put on your wood stove. Lowe's has them for 9.97. That's alot cheaper than the 30.00 I've seen them online for. Now if I could only find a metal can for my ashes that didn't cost 20 bux

Here ya go...
$17.80 at Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=253945-62960-FT0302&lpage=none

646250106125.jpg

How hot should the water in the steamer get? I measured mine at about 150 degrees. I thought this was pretty good but the water level only dropped about an inch over night with the stove running. I thought some people in here were going through alot more than that. It's a two quart steamer and to be effective I would think I should have to fill it up atleast once a day maybe twice.

My steamer on my Avalon goes through a minimum of one per day. I often just top it off when I reload so I cannot give a real quantity...

Well at 150, you ain't going to be making much steam. Isn't your PE a convection stove with a shroud and a cool surface? Might be the trouble. I don't even see steam from my soapstone kettle until the stove top temp passes 500. I do go through water though at the rate of 2 quarts about every three days given my cooler 400 stove top temp.

Coaster said:
BigV said:
Here ya go...
$17.80 at Lowes.

I bought both the steamer and ash bucket the other day. You need to inspect the items thoroughly, though, because some have objectionable flaws. For example, a few steamers would not sit flat due to the glaze pooling in spots (drips) along the bottom. Also, the some handles weren't firmly attached to the bucket lid in places. These aren't items I would buy sight unseen.

The steemer actually came up as $8.97 when I put in my local zip code, this seems like an excellent price for a nice 2 quart cast iron steemer. As for glaze imperfections on the bottom - I haven't looked at these personally, but if you want maximum heat transfer from your stove to the steemer you should probably grind/sand off the glaze from the bottom anyway.

karl said:
Now if I could only find a metal can for my ashes that didn't cost 20 bux

Go to your local auto repair shop. Some brands of bulk grease come in steel 5-gal. pails.
Also try an autobody shop, as some of the thinners also come in large metal pails.
Cost will probably be $0.

A couple of years ago I attempted to use a 5 gal. metal can that at one time contained shortening used in deep fryers. The lids were hard to get on and off, but the bigger problem was the smoke that came from the painted exterior of the can when I attempted to load it with hot coals. In addition, the can had two handles (one on either side) that made it impossible to carry with one hand. Try carrying a 5 gallon container full of hot coals, smoking like crazy from the exterior paint burning off using both hands and then trying to get the door open so you can get the whole thing outside.
Needless to say that was the last time I used that particular can…

Status
Not open for further replies.