wood stove in basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xandrew4507x

Oct 3, 2014
South Central PA
Hello, I was to put a wood stove in my finished basement to heat the area when we use it, the only option I have is to attach to a flue that was used by my oil boiler (unhooked because I do not use it) Would this be a problem?

Hello, I was to put a wood stove in my finished basement to heat the area when we use it, the only option I have is to attach to a flue that was used by my oil boiler (unhooked because I do not use it) Would this be a problem?

What sort of chimney was that oil stove hooked to? Was it solid masonry? Or a metal chimney?

If it's metal, odds are it's a Class B and it wouldn't be fit for a wood burning appliance.

If it's masonry, there's a possible that it could handle a wood stove, but it would need to be inspected and you'd need to find out if it meets proper clearances to combustibles.

Need more information to offer advice. What kind of chimney is it? Is it a masonry chimney that you plan to run a SS flex liner inside? What size interior does the chimney have? How will you connect your stove to the the chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.