Wood stove in basement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Arcto10

Jan 17, 2017
BC
Hey guys,

My wife and I just DIY installed a pellet stove in our basement and are not overly keen on the way the pipe looks (the silver just looks horrible to be honest, and we plan on using it as a living space so kind of important).

We are going to spray paint the pipe black (with 500C capable paint) and see if it looks any better. Failing that we will go for a wood burning stove.

My question is, what would the best way to run a wood stove flu pipe outside be? We already have a thimble going through our basement for the 4" pellet stove pipe. Can you run the flu up, out the wall, then up the outside of the house the same way a pellet stove works?

Alternatively, can you run it straight up through the ceiling, into the first floor and then straight through that floors ceiling, into the attic and finally out the roof?

Thanks in advance :)

You are going to replace your stove mainly because you do not like the color of the chimney? You could have it powder coated. It would look good and they don't get that hot to even need high temp powder. Or you could have a sheet metal guy make a cover/heat shield that you did like the looks of.

Reactions: Arcto10
My question is, what would the best way to run a wood stove flu pipe outside be? We already have a thimble going through our basement for the 4" pellet stove pipe. Can you run the flu up, out the wall, then up the outside of the house the same way a pellet stove works?

Welcome to the forums! I have the same setup on the stove in the basement, and my advice would be to avoid it. I have the exact same issues documented here: http://www.woodheat.org/outside-chimney.html My other chimney goes up the center of the house and out the peak of the roof, and it has a draft going all the time, even when the stove isn't burning.

Also, for a wood stove, you'll need at least 6" black pipe. The 4" silver pipe you have is too small and that galvanized coating will give off poisonous fumes if overheated.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Tpenny67, unfortunate we need either a pellet stove or wood stove in the basement as there is no other heating down there. We do not want to bring gas or baseboard heaters so it is one of the other two!

Thanks for the answers guys.

Tpenny67, unfortunate we need either a pellet stove or wood stove in the basement as there is no other heating down there. We do not want to bring gas or baseboard heaters so it is one of the other two!

I hear ya. My wife has already vetoed the idea of running a chimney up through the living room and upstairs closet, so I'm sort of stuck here too :)

Luckily, my stove has a bypass in the baffle so I can point a heat gun up the flue and get a decent draft going before striking a match.

Are you asking about running a new chimney for a separate or replacement wood stove or improving the routing of the pellet vent chimney?