• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A potential client has sent me a picture of his home made metal frame which he is using to support a Napoleon Wood stove in his garage. Distance from floor is 18 inches and metal frame will be anchored into concrete.
Barrie-WETT-Inspection.jpg

I am a WETT certified inspector and would not want to pass something that maybe unsafe.

What are your thoughts on this installation? Would it be considered adequate?

Regards

Roger Frost

I agree with you DAKSY and being a firefighter for 30 years gives me a healthy fear of gasoline and fire! This installation should meet all the requirements for installation in Barrie ON. I think. Everyone has a different comfort level when it comes to safety.

Might pass inspection - getting it cleared by an insurance company is another ball game.

If it was my home garage, I would run it when it was safe to do so. That said if I was a professional installer you can't be doing anything that does not meet the code. Even if you know the guy will run it safely. What happens when he sells the place and the next has gas all over the floor running the stove.

That said if I was a professional installer you can't be doing anything that does not meet the code.
It does meet code in Canada. 18" off the floor and protected from impact.

Reactions: Highbeam
I'm curious why he'd frame it out like that? Also, is it welded/attached to the frame, or just kind of sitting in it?
I have not visited site yet, but it does appear to be sitting on frame. Actually if it was welded or bolted on it would invalidate ULC rating due to modifications. Looks like a professional welding job on frame though, just going by picture.

Actually if it was welded or bolted on it would invalidate ULC rating due to modifications.
Unless there are holes there already which many stoves have. But welding it fast would be bad for sure

It does meet code in Canada. 18" off the floor and protected from impact.

My opinion was no more than seat of the pants common sense. You guys are pro's and have a working knowledge of codes. Since wood stoves were the only heat at one time, there must have been a lot of resistance banning them from locations.

Unless there are holes there already which many stoves have. But welding it fast would be bad for sure

So what are you thinking is wrong with the frame? Are you think welding prevents it from expanding, thus causing stove cracking? To me it gets it off the floor and helps stuff banging into it.

The guy was just trying to be overly safe by building a cage around it. I have a stove in my shop that looks a lot like a garage but I call it a shop since it is illegal to have a stove in a garage.

If the frame is strong enough to support the stove then this frame is perfectly legitimate. My 18" hearth is just a pile of dry stacked concrete blocks.

The medium sized Napoleon's have holes and are mobile home approved but for some reason the 1900 is not so I would guess no holes.

So what are you thinking is wrong with the frame? Are you think welding prevents it from expanding, thus causing stove cracking? To me it gets it off the floor and helps stuff banging into it.
Nothing wrong with the frame to meet code in canada in a garage you need to have the stove protected. It does that but like Barie wett said if it is welded it is modifies so it does not pass inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.