Wood Stove in Shop "Dream" is possible NEED Assistance Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wood Stove in Shop Dream Is Possible Need Assistance Please
From building a hearth to elevate the stove to adding stones on the back wall & the hardest part, installing the chimney. I need help & motivation to make my vision come true!!!

To begin I bought a used Haughs wood stove (1992-1997 EPA RATED) a few years ago. It is a basic utility type of stove. I wanted something I can heat the shop with from time to time. I live in California 3500' level & will only use this stove around 30 times per year for relatively short burns, 3-12 hours.

I got an estimate for a chimney install in 2009 and was shocked at what they quoted me $1500 ish. Well, there went that idea and the stove was tucked away in the shed until January 1st 2013. In that time I built the interior of the Shop work space with out a wood stove in mind. The shop/garage is 1,200 sq ft. It consists of a 3 car garage in the front & it has a back area with 2 rooms & a bath room area. I finished building it in 2007. I opened up one of the interior walls in the back area to make it a larger space & the bathroom area is just a storage space, no plumbing was ever completed. No insulation in the walls only a few cases of caulking was used to seal the building up. I know the rules about having a wood stove in a garage but this is a work shop, I know not to paint while the stove is on & am very aware of my actions. I now found the best possible site to install this stove (the only place left, I already removed the newly installed cabinets) It will be on the side of the shop that has the roll up doors. Close to the side door where you normally would walk in. With that said lets begin.....

I need to build a hearth to elevate the stove for two reasons.
1.) So I don't have to bend over every time I reload.
2.) It be in compliance with code. Any stove in a shop that has roll up doors needs to have the fire box elevated 24" off the ground so any possible gas fumes that hoover on the ground are less likely to ignite while the stove is in use. (so I have been told)... I plan on possibly using cinder blocks to achieve this. I'm thinking two layers to get the stove up 16". Stove has a built in pedestal.
The back wall is currently plywood attached to the wooden studs (interior wall). My thought is to remove this plywood and possibly use some of that concrete drywall stuff in its place & maybe use metal to create a 1" air pocket between the studs & the cement board. This is an interior wall, behind this wall is a closet used to store tools.
Then I am thinking about using pavers that I already own to wrap the new cinder block hearth & possibly the entire back wall up to the open rafter trusses.
Nothing fancy here but I want it to look nice and the MOST important thing here is SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!!!!! I don't care about anything but safety. I will not install it or use it if I risk a fire outside of the fire box......
Work has been slow this month as I do finish carpentry installs. I have been home almost everyday. I also have been collecting "junk" stuff over the years. So starting on new years day I set out to get rid of all this stuff. I threw out lots of stuff. I then discovered I had stuff too good for the garbage & started listing it for free on craigslist. Then I realized some of the stuff was to good to just give away so I began selling it. I sold glass for a greenhouse I was going to build, columns for a patio addition that has yet to happen & other junk. I collected all the $$$ and placed it in an envelope and am going to use it to fund this project. I currently have more junk to sell. My goal is $1500 I'm half way there.
My budget for the chimney install since I will be doing it my self is $800... I hope this will include everything to get the stove up & running. The remaining junk I am selling will fund the new chainsaw $600 so I can go scrounge my own wood & eventually get a firewood hauling trailer. We currently burn everyday in our house with a open fire place so collecting wood is something I have been doing anyway for over 10 years.
I need advice and maybe a push to get this project under way. I don't have a lot of experience with building hearths & chimney installations or cutting a hole in my roof to put the flashing in......
I do however have lots of hands on experience, YouTube video editing experience & the will 'N drive.
Pictures to come and lots of updates.
First thing is first though......You will need pictures of the stove & work site. Thanks ahead for any help and encouragement. I want to use the chimney Lowes sells. I don't recall the name off hand but It is relatively affordable. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.
-Mike

I want to use the chimney Lowes sells. I don't recall the name off hand but It is relatively affordable. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.
Welcome! It sounds like you have a plan. If you have a Menards around, I would go there. They both have Selkirk Super-vent, but Menards has a lot better selection, around here anyway. They have most of the components that you will need. Go ask your local hearth shop if they can get anywhere near that same price. If so, you would be better off, as they should have all the components and advice to go along with it. They might even have some dinged pipe they would make a good deal on.

Status
Not open for further replies.