Wood Stove Insert and Blower Door Test - Problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I'm getting an energy audit done tomorrow, and was wondering if operating my insert will be a problem for the blower door test? I don't think I can isolate the insert's air supply, which comes from inside the house. Does the test put a vacuum on the house or is it pressure? I wouldn't want to get smoke in the house.

I would let that stove go cold tonight. Even if you had an outside air kit, many stoves secondary air comes from a different location on the stove than the primary air. When they create negative pressure in the house, it could steal air from the stove or as you mentioned, could fill the house with smoke.

Hmm, wonder how simply having the stove in the house will affect the audit. Air will be pulled through that stove. Wonder if they'll want to seal the chimney.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.