Wood stove insert cleaning frequency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
I have a woodstove insert with a 6" liner that goes all the way up my chimney. I'm curious as to how often most people have this type of set up cleaned. We burn about 3 cords a season, mostly well seasoned hard wood, and we burn relatively hot, only taking the damper down past 1/2 way at night. We had it cleaned once this year, but I'm wondering if we need to have it swept more than that? Once a month I break the inside baffles down and brush the inside of the stove out and clean everything out, but just curious how often I need to brush the pipe out. Will once a year suffice? Thanks for your input.

For most people once a year is just fine and there really should be no reason to tear down the inside more often than that either. There are also people burning as much as you that go 2 or even 3 years between cleanings it all depends on your fuel and burning habits

Reactions: Higgs
I usually clean the chimney and inside the stove once or twice a year- depending on the quality of my fuel.

I cleaned my flue in February of 2014. I was just recently on my roof because of a raccoon activity and I took a look at my chimney cap no sign of creo build up at all.

Once at the end of the heating season does it for me. I shovel out the stove, vacuum inside and out, inspect all seams, and replace any gaskets that are getting tired or loose. I schedule my annual chimney cleaning and inspection at that time too, so I'm ready to go when fall arrives.

"A woodstove insert" is pretty vague. My friend who has an insert built in the 70's has to clean at least twice a season and gets quite a bit of creosote out each time (like a good pail full). Also depends on the quality of your wood and burning habits. Not closing the air down more than half way also is meaningless except for your stove and draft. Mine, I run it 100% closed all the time except for startup. And I get practically no soot or creo.

Here is how much stuff came out of the pipes after a season of burning in my insert... small can of soup for size reference:
creosote2_800-1.jpg

What insert are you burning in? How seasoned was your firewood?

With well seasoned firewood, on most inserts, you should be able to shut the air more than 1/2 way down.

*adding your insert to your signature eliminates alot of questions*

Status
Not open for further replies.