Wood Stove Insert DIY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gobblerpah

Feb 18, 2010
Middle GA
I have purchased a Appalachian Trailmaster 4N1 Catalytic Stove. It is used I would say about 10-15 yrs old. It is in good shape however it needs a little TLC. ie. a new door gasket and some new bricks. I want to install it in a factory built fireplace and was wondering if I could use the existing 8"flue from the fireplace or do I have to line the existing flue with
stainless or some other insert specific flue liner? My existing fireplace was installed in 1999 and the flue appears to go all the way to the top of the chimmney. Also, my fireplace needs about 2" more height but I think I can trim some height off the bottom as I have about 6" of open space between the unit and the top of the hearth. Is trimming not an option or okay? Also can I remove the faux brick panels on the sides and rear to accomodate installation. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Do you have the manual for the Appalachian insert? The stove must be tested and approved as a prefab insert. The prefab flue is not approved for woodstove high temp use. It would require a liner which means 6 or 7". Generally it's not a good idea to disassemble the prefab parts to fit in the stove. A picture of the current fireplace would help to figure out options. Do you know what the make and model is?

Here are some pics. The fireplace is a Martin Industries SF36 model.
The Appalachian Trailmaster is approved for Prefab install as well as mobile home freestanding.

Attachments

• Fireplace photo.jpg
    Fireplace photo.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 699
Status
Not open for further replies.