Wood stove insert in 1960ish house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SamB

Jan 6, 2018
Georgia
Hi all! I am new here and I've been looking around at the posts and I couldn't find anything related to my question. I purchased a house built in the 60's 3 years ago. It has a wood stove insert with doors that will run us out of the house with the heat it produces, I feel like the insert was added at some point during the 90's. My problem is, any time I have a fire my house is filled with the smell of burning plastic. At first I thought it was the rope lining around the doors so after they started falling in I just ripped them off. So now I'm wondering if the past owners painted the metal and that's what stinks. I'm getting very paranoid about this and would appreciate any help or advice! Thank you!

Hi all! I am new here and I've been looking around at the posts and I couldn't find anything related to my question. I purchased a house built in the 60's 3 years ago. It has a wood stove insert with doors that will run us out of the house with the heat it produces, I feel like the insert was added at some point during the 90's. My problem is, any time I have a fire my house is filled with the smell of burning plastic. At first I thought it was the rope lining around the doors so after they started falling in I just ripped them off. So now I'm wondering if the past owners painted the metal and that's what stinks. I'm getting very paranoid about this and would appreciate any help or advice! Thank you!
Have you had it cleaned and inspected by a chimney professional?

You need the rope lining to make the stove airtight. The smell probably got worse once you ripped them out. Id heed Bholler's advice and have it inspected by a professional before burning.

It could be that the "plastic" smell is actually the paint getting toasted by overfiring the stove. That stove door gasket has an important purpose in controlling the fire. Hard to say though without seeing the insert.