Wood stove install. Double wall stove pipe or single?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dukee1

Jan 26, 2010
Islip NY
I have the 18" clearance for singlewall pipe. I purchased the 24 inch ceiling support box for a manufactured home and I was told I had to use double wall. I wanted the extra heat from the single wall pipe. Is there much of a difference?

Obviously there is going to be SOME difference, hence the different clearance requirements. I have double wall, and my grandmother has single wall, for example, and I spend time in both houses. I can't tell you that the single wall is a major source of heat. Like you, she simply has the necessary clearances for it.

I would go with the manufacturer's requirement. This should help you comply with their requirements and would, I think, benefit you if you had any future insurance claims, etc.

If you have the clearance and a good draft I would go with the single wall, I believe the general guide lines are you can use up to 8 ft of single wall pipe.

Most manufactured homes are single story. That usually means a shorter stack. Use double wall to keep the flue gases hotter. It will help the flue draft better and stay cleaner.

BeGreen said:
Most manufactured homes are single story. That usually means a shorter stack. Use double wall to keep the flue gases hotter. It will help the flue draft better and stay cleaner.
I missed the manufactured home thingy, maybe double wall is your only good option.

dukee1 said:
I have the 18" clearance for singlewall pipe. I purchased the 24 inch ceiling support box for a manufactured home and I was told I had to use double wall. I wanted the extra heat from the single wall pipe. Is there much of a difference?

no, the " lost " radiant heat will raise appliance efficiency. its a wash
plus, code requires it, and
stove to be secured, have outside air, and be properly grounded!

Wood Heat Stoves said:
dukee1 said:

What code are you refering to, not all codes in all areas are the same.

oldspark said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
dukee1 said:

What code are you refering to, not all codes in all areas are the same.

yes, they are the same for mobile or modular homes, it was HUD, now its HCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.