wood stove installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tone

Oct 19, 2007
Long Island, NY
My existing setup is an old VC Defiant sitting on a brick base 5' wide x 4' deep brick wall behind to the 8' ceiling. The existing pipe is 8" with a 2" offset through the ceiling and the attic.

What do I need and what must I do to install a new wood stove with a 6" flue opening? I'm may buy a Home Depot stove so I won't get any worthy advice there.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Tone said:
What do I need and what must I do to install a new wood stove with a 6" flue opening? I'm may buy a Home Depot stove so I won't get any worthy advice there.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

tony , if you want advice about home depot stoves, let me know, i build them. if you call my shop at 800-245-6489 we are open 8-5 eastern mon-fri , if so be advised this is our busiest time of year so the phones are hoppin, might be a little wait. even better , if you want, PM me here with a daytime number and i'll look you up when at work and give you a buzz, or drop me an e mail, my work e mail is in my avatar. as for installation advice , you have found the best possible location for it. the pro's in here are an absolute wealth of information. several also have my stoves so im sure they could talk about installing them with you as well. i would be happy to answer any questions you can come up with.

mike ESW

Thanks guys.

How do I tell if the existing pipe is still good?

Is it best to reduce it close to the stove or to the exit through the roof?

Mike I sent you an email earlier today with a question about which model to buy. Ill PM you

Thanks,

Tony

You are in good hands talking to Mike Hey Mike what is he is purchasing a Century?

should be an englander if at depot , i think lowes still carries some century units ,pretty good stoves from what ive seen, have a relative bought one down in texas a few years ago, bought it before he told me <chuckle> but he is happy with it , believe he got the fw20007 or somthing like that , similar to our 13-nc

The Centurys are on the floor at HD here this year. In fact just like last year there isn't an ESW wood stove in sight at Lowe's or HD in this area. Just the pellet stoves.

HD sells Englanders but have none on display or in stock anywhere around here. Lowe's has Century's on display.

I've heard good things here about the Englanders. Haven't heard much about the Century's

Are they of comparable quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.