Q&A Wood stove installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am planning to install a vermont castings defiant wood stove in the corner of a finished basement. The side clearances are 12 inches to a 5/8 firecode sheetrock wall with metal studs up against a masonry basement wall.

I have heard that even though the 5/8 sheetrock has a fire rating, it is still considered a combustible because it has paper on it. Is that true? If I switch to a cement board wall do I need to be concerned about fiberglass insulation behind it? If I used a sheet metal shield (1 in. spaced from wall) and stayed with the sheetrock would that be OK?

Answer:

You are correct....that the 5/8 firecode sheetrock is considered a combustible. If you switch to a cement board and use insulation with no kraft paper backing, then you should be OK. Or, simply stay with the sheetrock, and use a piece of sheet metal spaced 1" from the wall as a wall shield. This would do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.