Wood Stove Installation - Through Wall and Up Approx. 20 feet- Who to Contact?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestDeerPirate

Jun 21, 2011
Gibsonia, PA
Hello,

I am in the process of finishing my hearth that I built for my wood burning stove. Actually it's a parlor style potbelly stove that stands about 40" high. So I used steel beams and durock as my platform. Now I am working with my stone and joint compound to finish up the hearth portion. My stove placement and materials will be compliant with code. I will then be ready to punch the pipe through. I have researched the various kits available and the cost of the steel chimney pipe for outside.

I really wanted someone to come and take a look at my setup and tell me what I need but the local stove guys do not want to work with me because I didn't buy the stove from them. I am not able to find anyone in my area who would be willing to help with an installation of the interior and exterior portion of the job and give me a receipt for the work. My wife knows that I am probably capable of doing most of this work myself but would feel better if a professional did the install instead.

Ed's Woodshed and Ferguson's are my local guys. Ed's responded with too many variables for him to install. Ferguson's has not responded.

Any suggestions? I am located in Gibsonia, PA and options are limited. Who is the right tradesperson to contact? A contractor, etc.?

What have you guys done??

Check for a certified CSIA chimney sweep in your area. They should be able to do the installation for you. It looks like there are several in your area. Just enter your zip code on the upper left side of this web page for a listing. Be patient, it takes a little time for the list to appear.

http://www.csia.org/

BeGreen said:
Check for a certified CSIA chimney sweep in your area. They should be able to do the installation for you. It looks like there are several in your area. Just enter your zip code on the upper left side of this web page for a listing. Be patient, it takes a little time for the list to appear.

http://www.csia.org/

Great advice!

WestDeerPirate said:
...I will then be ready to punch the pipe through...

"Punch the pipe through"...what? Could be that the wall you're talking about has something to do with the hesitation of the installers. Lots more information would help a bunch. Some pics surely would be nice. Sounds like this thread probably belongs in the Classic Stove Forum. I'll leave it here for now. Rick

ETA: Clearance To Combustibles (CTC) is a real issue with every stove installation, but of particular concern with an old undocumented appliance, which it sounds like this is. That actually could be another factor in the trouble you're having finding someone to lend a hand.

Welcome to the forum WestDeerPirate.

Also beware that if you run a pipe horizontally you need a minimum of 1/4" rise per foot of horizontal. A bit more does no harm. We went closer to 1/2" per foot.

Backwoods Savage said:
Welcome to the forum WestDeerPirate.

Also beware that if you run a pipe horizontally you need a minimum of 1/4" rise per foot of horizontal. A bit more does no harm. We went closer to 1/2" per foot.

My Horizontal is about a 1/2" also (Per backwoods advice)..

I looked into Hearth Shops and also local Chimney sweeps. the last guy seemed pretty good, but when he came out. We started talking wood, stoves, creosote, etc. He stated that NO Wood needs 3 yrs to dry. Oak is good the 1st year. All Stoves are "Air-tight" and then he gave me the About $1,000-$1,400 Bomb. That was just for the Clean-out T and up. I was doing g from the Thimble inside to the stove. I was not going to hesitate paying $1,000 for a Pro. I would have done it in a second. But this guy was arrogant and ignorant. I tried to tell him about this Forum. But he quickly stated. "You gonna listen to what other people tell you??? I do what works and I know what works". I told him I would call him...

Well after a few quick questions here at Hearth. I installed my 30 yesterday. Easy Peasy. Took all day. But I saved myself $1,000 and I know the all my Clearance to Combustibles are met/exceeded by a lot. In the case of the stove getting away from me/overfire situation.

Good Luck, I knew I could do mine. I have installed many a Pellet Stove. I thought it was best left to a Pro. So if you have the slightest ability and both you and your Wife think you can accomplish it. Give it a Shot. My Wife was glad to help and we are both proud of what we did. Here is the Link. It was MUCH Easier than I thought. getting a 14.5" hole in the Block was the Hardest part. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/935603/

Thanks. To help answer some of the questions about "punch through what", I just meant the inside to outside hole that I will have to cut for the chimney pipe. The stove has the appropriate clearances inside with the hearth that I just finished building. I have the previous owner's inside pipe which is a oval to 8" round flare and then a section about 4 feet high which then turns 90 degrees towards the wall. The inside is sheet rock and 16" studs and the outside is hardy board siding. Nothing too fancy and no stone.

I will look into the csia.org when I get a minute as well. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.