Wood stove issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ralpht44

Jan 5, 2009
Eastern PA
Hi all! Hoping some of the experts can chiome in. I have a Vermont castings freestanding stove that si in overall great shape. I just moved in to a new home and noticed that the movers must have placed the stove down on the ground with the legs off and therefore broke the bolts at the base that hold the legs on. Two bolts are broken and I am at a loss as to how to fix as the bolts do not come out. Any ideas? I was thinkinng of making a stand for it, just not sure how and with what.

Greetings. Can you lock the old bolt stub in the jaws of vice-grips and remove the stubs that way? If they are sheared off at the stove, then drill out, re-tap and replace the bolts.

I can't get to the bolts at all. there is hardly anything left to grab on to. As far as the movers, I contacted and mentioned to them that this shappened and they denied it over and over.

Drilling out the old stubs and re-tapping in not as bad as it sounds. You can get a cheap tap handle, drill bit and tap for under $20.

I take it that you moved a stove which you already had into a new house? If so, it is simple, the bolts were either broken before the movers picked it up, or they were not; qed.

Removal is not difficult. The problem is going to be getting at it. I have never been in favor of drilling out the bolt itself as I do not think it can be done without damaging the threaded casting. Maybe it would be more correct to say that I have never done it without tearing up the treads. Anyway, first hit the bolts with PB Blaster or some other serious (better then WD 40) penetrating oil. Next, you need what is known as an "easyout", This is a small tool driven into a hole drilled up into the bolt which grabs the bolt and allows it to be unscrewed. As you can see, this requires being able to get at the bolts with a drill and bit. The advantage to this is that you drill a hole a great deal smaller than the bolt thereby saving the threads and casting. Sometimes one can get them to turn using a small punch to strike the broken edge in a counter-clockwise direction, but again you have to be able to get at it with tools.

Good luck,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.