Wood stove liner confusion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not yet, I have an email into them, from Sean, coincidentally.

no answer yet from woodstovepro.com, they don't appear very responsive. anyway, I can get the kit for a good price, but only with 25' liner. if i come up a few feet short, can it be extended at the top?

They are probably slammed at this time of a year. Everyone seems to wait until it's cold before thinking about stove installs. Yes, liner can be extended, but try to avoid it if possible.

They are probably slammed at this time of a year. Everyone seems to wait until it's cold before thinking about stove installs. Yes, liner can be extended, but try to avoid it if possible.

I'm gonna go up and take a proper measurement tonight, always thought I can just get the 30' just as easy.

If you want to use WoodStovePro, give them a call for faster service.

they don't sell the liner after all or the bundle Drolet has on their website.

I'm gonna go up and take a proper measurement tonight, always thought I can just get the 30' just as easy.
Turns out I was over estimating the distance in the attic, all tolled I figure it just shy of 25'.

I just bought the drolet 1800I trio.
I have it but have not installed it yet.

the vortex is made by SBI, same as drolet.
it states heavy duty liner, high quality stainless steel.
it does not say what type of stainless it is.

I have never installed a stove before but it seems like a decent liner to me...no past experience to go against though.

the stove is actually much nicer looking than I thought it would be, and the "large" face plate is really not that big for this stove as it seemed to look in the picture

I just bought the drolet 1800I trio.
I have it but have not installed it yet.

the vortex is made by SBI, same as drolet.
it states heavy duty liner, high quality stainless steel.
it does not say what type of stainless it is.

I have never installed a stove before but it seems like a decent liner to me...no past experience to go against though.

the stove is actually much nicer looking than I thought it would be, and the "large" face plate is really not that big for this stove as it seemed to look in the picture
I just ordered the 1800i trio yesterday. Good to know the liner seems of good quality. I got the 50" wide face plate, is that what you have?

yes the 50" wide face plate, from some pictures I thought the faceplate would be silly big, but at a quick glance it seems appropriate. Its still in pieces in my garage, ran in to some towny permit issues put me on hold.

Definitely excited to hear your progress w the stove! ill post mine when I get going

yes the 50" wide face plate, from some pictures I thought the faceplate would be silly big, but at a quick glance it seems appropriate. Its still in pieces in my garage, ran in to some towny permit issues put me on hold.

Definitely excited to hear your progress w the stove! ill post mine when I get going
How are you going to handle the cord? I'm planning to drill through the back corner of the fire box for a hidden look.

Also, what goes in between the top of the stove and the bottom of the faceplate? Is there an adjustable piece that goes there?

I haven't really gone through it yet, I just opened it to make sure the delivery was correct. its not installed yet.

But I believe the faceplate fits exactly around and gets bolted in place on the insert.

there is a .pdf manual on drolets website that shows how it connects.

I think I recall mention of the power wire, and not do do anything except run it out the front where it is located, otherwise it would melt.

I think I recall mention of the power wire, and not do do anything except run it out the front where it is located, otherwise it would melt.

I assumed all inserts were able to have the cord hidden from view. Either by putting in a outlet in there or drilling an access hole to chase out the cable. It doesn't get that hot in between the insert and the sides of the fireplace walls.

More opinions are wecolme.

That is an incorrect assumption. There are electrical code issues to consider too. Some folks have run the cord down the ash dump to a receptacle in the basement. This receptacle must have a switch near the stove for servicing. It's often simpler to neatly route the cord along the bottom edge of the surround. It can be hidden by a hearth tool set.

That is an incorrect assumption. There are electrical code issues to consider too. Some folks have run the cord down the ash dump to a receptacle in the basement. This receptacle must have a switch near the stove for servicing. It's often simpler to neatly route the cord along the bottom edge of the surround. It can be hidden by a hearth tool set.

In my basement, I have access to 2' of the rear of the fireplace on both sides up to about 5'. This include 1' inside the box on each side. I can drill through either side and tie into a power source.

I'm looking to install a drolet 1800 or equivalent in my basement fireplace. Chimney in the center of house, 5 flues, I figure 30' from basement to top of house. The chimney has a slate cover over it, built up on a few bricks.

I'm seeking suggestions on specific liners and sellers for my application.

The Drolet 1800 insert is a great stove. I have had mine for 3 years now with zero complaints. It was my first wood stove/insert and its very simple to operate and burns clean. Th 6-8 hour burn times are accurate using good hard woods. It heats my 1600 sq ft house no problem.

Also, a deep cycle battery and an inverter will run the blower for 24+ hours.

I can't wait to for the first burn...

10252144_10151976921350670_5734236966616140795_n.jpg

The Drolet 1800 insert is a great stove. I have had mine for 3 years now with zero complaints. It was my first wood stove/insert and its very simple to operate and burns clean. Th 6-8 hour burn times are accurate using good hard woods. It heats my 1600 sq ft house no problem.

Also, a deep cycle battery and an inverter will run the blower for 24+ hours.

I can't wait to for the first burn...

10252144_10151976921350670_5734236966616140795_n.jpg
Thanks for the pic, looks great. Why didn't you install the faceplate?

Ctswf,
How big was the bundle coming off the truck?

it was about 4x4x 5ft tall. all wrapped in 1x4 wood, liner on top of stove. I had to pry jt open w a flatbar and hammer.

I paid for lift gate service from northern tool so they used a hydraulic cart to put it in my garage. when the delivery company first called me they asked how I was planning on getting it off their truck, to which I replied I had paid for a service for that.

it was about 4x4x 5ft tall. all wrapped in 1x4 wood, liner on top of stove. I had to pry jt open w a flatbar and hammer.

I paid for lift gate service from northern tool so they used a hydraulic cart to put it in my garage. when the delivery company first called me they asked how I was planning on getting it off their truck, to which I replied I had paid for a service for that.

Thanks. I was not familiar with lift gate service before. It seems very odd for a truck to have the cart on board anyway, but charge you to use it. Makes them look like their trying to nickel/dime you.

Okay, just had a quote from a sweep/installer that lives locally. He's csia certified.

Install, insulated liner, block off plate, all connections for $1500. That also includes removing/replacing my 4' x 3' slate chimney cap. All code install.
Late to the party, but why would you remove / replace the slate topper? I have them on all of my chimneys, and they work very well for protecting the crown.

Late to the party, but why would you remove / replace the slate topper? I have them on all of my chimneys, and they work very well for protecting the crown.
Actually, its alot bigger than 3x4, but anyway, I meant he has to remove it to put in the liner and then replace it.

Got it. Usually slates of that size are two or three piece, not always distinguishable from ground. I have slate toppers on three of my four current chimneys, and had them on all three chimneys on the house in which I grew up. They're usually single piece up to maybe 5 sq.ft., and larger than that they piece them together. Just too heavy to handle on a roof, at sizes over 5 sq.ft.

Actually, its alot bigger than 3x4, but anyway, I meant he has to remove it to put in the liner and then replace it.
as long as you can clean it from the bottom leave it if you have to clean from the top dont put it back

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.