wood stove liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgewobbecke

Sep 1, 2012
i currently have a fireplace with a 8" metal chimney( looks like double wall). im thinking of pulling out the fireplace and installing a wood stove. can i attach the wood stove to my existing chimney? or do i have to install a liner within the metal chimney?

Is this a pre-fab fireplace? Info (and or pics) on the unit you are currently running will be key to giving you a good answer.

Welcome to the site!

pen

i think its a prefab fireplace. still new to wood burning. i bought this house 4 years ago and it came with the fireplace. the threads ive seen claiming that you need a liner, dont have metal chimney to start with, just brick or clay flue. so i was wondering if id have to install a liner in the 8" metal flue. im thinking of getting the vogelzang defender wood stove. also i want the wood stove to be my supplemental heat source, i have electric baseboard heaters throughout home. 1st pic is of looking up at chimney from fireplace. 2nd is looking at fireplace from inside family room. the brick are only in the room, doesnt go up with chimney

tn
tn

The pre-fab chimneys were designed to be air cooled by convection between the inner and outer layer. Not designed to handle the flue temps of a wood stove. Yeah, some people do it. But it ain't gonna happen in a house I sleep in.

The pics aren't showing up but most pre-fabs have really close framing members around them. Clearance to combustible materials is going to be a major factor to look at once the fireplace is pulled out.

Keep the thread going. Folks here can really help you. You may not be happy with some of the answers but they are offered to keep ya safe.

Reactions: pen
how can i tell if the fireplace is prefab or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.