Wood stove location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

borapiel

Nov 16, 2014
After asking my last question about the fireplace in my home, I've decided to rip it out and install a wood stove, but I've got some new questions now. I have been doing a ton of research since I have never used one before. I came across a page once that said if the top of the flue pipe does not extend taller than the highest point inside the home, severe downdraft problems could develop. I cant find the page again and have been trying to search for this topic, but have not found anything definitive. A little history (if it's relevant) The main 2 story part of my home was built in 1910, an addition was put on in the 1950's which is currently where the kitchen/dining area is. The addition was a first floor addition only. The dining area has a fireplace in it that we have never attempted to use. (It just has an incomplete look to it) We bought it a few years ago as a foreclosure, so I really don't know much more about it. I figured I could take out the fireplace and transform it into a nice little wood stove area. I would have plenty of clearance and it would vent straight up with no elbows. In my research I came across downdraft issues. One of the issues was a first floor chimney in a two story house that I cant find again. I this going to be a real issue given the age of the home. I've added a few rough drawings that try to show where the fireplace currently is.

ws2.jpg ws1.jpg

You also have to meet the 10-2-3 foot rule. Your chimney has to be 2 feet higher than anything
(wall, parapet or roof) that is within 10 feet horizontally, & has to be a minimum of 3 feet out of the roof.
Does your location allow you to meet these criteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.