Wood Stove Newbie Hearthstone Craftsbury

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2015
Bend, OR
Hey guys! This is my first post :) I'm hoping to become more informed about a hearthstone craftsbury. My house is 1100 sq ft. I live in Bend, Oregon in an old craftsman bungalow and winter nights get below 0. I read on someone's post that the newer model of the crafts bury (2014?) has fixed their old kinks... like the handle. Those who currently have the newer model- what are your thoughts?? Are you loving your stove? How much did yours cost? The one down the street is currently $1700. Also, if you have suggestions for another wood stove I'm all ears :)

Moved your thread to the wood stove section from the Pellet Mill so you should get more response:)
Welcome

Welcome to the forum!

Are you looking for a primary heater or is the stove meant to just supplement your current heat? The Craftsbury has a firebox of only 1.5 cu ft which means you will maybe get 4 to 5 hours of meaningful heat. That could work during the day but at night it will be very inconvenient. For an overnight burn you will need to look for stoves with a firebox of at least 2 cu ft. The Hearthstone Shelburne, Jotul F500, Quadrafire Explorer 2, Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 would be similar in style but large enough.

I haven't heard any new reports on the improvements. Also about this size are the Hampton H300, Quad Explorer, Jotul Castine, Morso 2110, Efel S33. Also worth considering would be the Blaze King Ashford series. They are more expensive but will provide longer burn time without driving you out of the house.

Welcome to the forum!

Are you looking for a primary heater or is the stove meant to just supplement your current heat? The Craftsbury has a firebox of only 1.5 cu ft which means you will maybe get 4 to 5 hours of meaningful heat. That could work during the day but at night it will be very inconvenient. For an overnight burn you will need to look for stoves with a firebox of at least 2 cu ft. The Hearthstone Shelburne, Jotul F500, Quadrafire Explorer 2, Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 would be similar in style but large enough.

We currently have a gas heater but I want the house warm all day long (since I'm home all day and work at night) when it's cold outside and running the heater would add up fast. I looked at the Shelburne and the gentleman at the local hearth store said that size would "smoke me out" and get the house too hot... I'm not sure if that's accurate information, though. Our house is one story and about 1100 sq ft. I'd prefer something that would have a longer heat time like you said. I'm not too familiar with all the other brands you listed other than hearthstone. I've tried to research, but it becomes very overwhelming!! It makes me fearful of making the wrong decision. I saw a brand new unused hearthstone Tribute on craigslist today for $1200 but it's also unfortunately a small firebox.

If you have the cash, I think a BK ashford would be an excellent investment. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about getting too big of a stove - we have a PE Super (same firebox as T5) in 900 sq ft and we make it work. I can get 8-10hr burns on alder and fir. You can always open windows or doors to outside, as well as opening and closing doors internally to regulate temps. And building smaller, more frequent fires. We find that keeping the bedroom door closed keeps the bedroom pretty cool, even with the stove in full tilt in the adjacent room.

Status
Not open for further replies.