Wood stove not big enough

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Liberty runs as the manufacturer states in the owners manual. Low Burn- air control closed High Burn- air control open

Approximate Air Control Settings

High Burn- 7/16" open to fully open
Med. High Burn- 5/16" - 7/16" open
Med. Burn- 9/32" - 5/16" open
Overnight Burn- Fully Closed - 9/32" open

For max heat I run with air wide open. My stove does NOT heat up as I shut down air. Nice concept though and I'm glad for those whose stoves do.

jj3500 said:
I posted a thread about three weeks ago stating my stove may not be big enough. Well, it was in the teens the last week or so. This stove is not cutting the mustard. I'm stoking this stove and the best it can do it 73 degrees on a thermometer mounted 15' from it. I was sold on this size soley on what the salesmen told me. I did my own research and all but I felt it was a wise choice. Its not. Next season, the larger model. For now, I'll deal with it.

You've gotten some good advice in this thread, but in the end I think the stove is too small to heat your house to your standards. It is rated at up to 2,000 sq. ft. and you are considerably over that in a fairly cold area of the country. It has been very cold lately.

It sounds like you bought this new and recently (why I quoted your original post). I recommend not waiting until next season (as the salesman might no longer be there) but trying to trade up to the Liberty or another larger model from another line if they carry it. Sales are still hot and they might be willing to sell yours off as a slightly used model to recover most of its cost. Since you based your decision on their advice perhaps they would allow you to pay the difference only between the Endeavor and Liberty. I would get on it now.

MarkG

Some more input to add. I know how frustrating and overwhelming this all is and more suggestions can add to the frustration.

If you do replace your stove as was suggested, what served me well was what you hear here often and with consistency - buy bigger than you think you need. THe reasoning being that you can always build a smaller fire in a bigger firebox but, as you are discovering, you can not build a bigger fire in a small firebox.

I, too, was sold a smaller insert my first time around and now am more than happy with one much bigger. I learned that the sales person didn't really know anything about wood burning but did know how to sell to someone equally ignorant.

After reading a lot here, when I went out to replace our old insert, I wasn't as ignorant and I was able to better spot sales people who really knew what they were talking about.

Also, lots of good ideas here for you to try. LEarning how to burn with these EPA stoves is a bit trickier than a fireplace but once you catch on to how your stove likes to burn it's a very rewarding experience and a warm one too. I have been burning for just 6 years now and am still learning. :coolsmile:

yukiginger said:
jj3500 said:
I posted a thread about three weeks ago stating my stove may not be big enough. Well, it was in the teens the last week or so. This stove is not cutting the mustard. I'm stoking this stove and the best it can do it 73 degrees on a thermometer mounted 15' from it. I was sold on this size soley on what the salesmen told me. I did my own research and all but I felt it was a wise choice. Its not. Next season, the larger model. For now, I'll deal with it.

You've gotten some good advice in this thread, but in the end I think the stove is too small to heat your house to your standards. It is rated at up to 2,000 sq. ft. and you are considerably over that in a fairly cold area of the country. It has been very cold lately.

It sounds like you bought this new and recently (why I quoted your original post). I recommend not waiting until next season (as the salesman might no longer be there) but trying to trade up to the Liberty or another larger model from another line if they carry it. Sales are still hot and they might be willing to sell yours off as a slightly used model to recover most of its cost. Since you based your decision on their advice perhaps they would allow you to pay the difference only between the Endeavor and Liberty. I would get on it now.

MarkG

Good suggestion Mark, I agree. Talk with the stove shop now and see if they will give you a reasonably priced upgrade and consign the Endeavor. If they are getting a lot of customers now, there's bound to be a few looking for a bargain.

When I was having a runaway Lopi I learned that the overfire temp for the Lopi is 800 freaking degrees. At 600 you have not begun to tap the power available from your stove.

That said, I would not buy a 1.6 CF stove for a primary heater ever. Maybe as a decoration type stove or if you live on a boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.