Wood stove not getting over 150 degrees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona

Nov 7, 2015
Arizona
I installed a a wood stove rated for heating a 2,000 sq ft home yet the stove and 6 inch chimney pipe never exceed 150 degrees. Stove burns nice but the instructions stated no stove pipe damper required. Seems all the heat must be going up the chimney. Any ideas?

I posted pictures of the fire burning for over 12 hours and the chimney pipe never exceeded 150 degrees.

The stove is rated EPA 91% efficient never had a stove stay so cool.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 367
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 501
If the stove pipe thermometer is only getting around 150 degrees, your heat is "not" going up the chimney. You really should have a thermometer on the stove as well. On the top center usually works best. IMO those thermometers really should be called stove thermometers. The stove usually runs much hotter than the pipe. And you really don't want the pipe getting as hot as the stove.
Is your wood good and dry? Has it been split and stacked for a year or more? Stove really needs dry wood.

Typically when a stove struggles to get up to temperature it's due to under seasoned wood. How long has the wood been split and stacked?
I also see that the door is not latched, if you need to crack it to get flames then it's most likely the wood. Could be draft related as well, what's your chimney set up like?

By the way, the stove is not 91% efficient. Not even close really. That's an entry level stove with an effeciency rating much closer to 70%. It should still heat well though.

That look like a poorly seasoned wood issue. The heat is not all going up the chimney. There simply isn't a lot of heat being produced by the fire due to excess moisture coming off the wood. The interior flue temp is about 1.5 times what you are reading on the surface of the pipe. That means the flue gases are very cool and most likely a lot of creosote is being produced by the cool flue gases condensing inside the chimney. Creosote condenses when the flue gases drop below about 250F. Normal surface flue readings with dry wood would be more like 250-300F and that stove would be quite hot with a stove top temperature of 500-600F. Firewood typically takes a year to two to season - after it has been split and stacked. How long will depend on the species of wood.

This stove definitely does not need a flue damper. Watch your chimney closely. Low flue temps can build creosote up quickly.

The stove looks very close to the wall. Were the required clearances to combustibles honored? What is behind the Wonderboard?

I agree with BeGreen. I think it is a wood issue.

Try lighting a fire with some kiln dried wood if you can. You should be able to get the temperatures up higher. My probe thermometer shows about 450-600 when cruising.

Andrew

Put the thermometer on the stove top in the middle and repeat a full burn.
I can't tell if you have single wall or double wall stove pipe. Either others missed this or I can't tell in your photos and others can. Double wall pipe may not get very hot, even when your stove is cruising.
I see you have a pot on the stove. If it has water in it, is it boiling. If so, your stove must be at least 250.

Try what the others have suggested and let us know. Lots of similar experiences until you get the hang of it.

Pretty sure that's single wall Doug, look at the way it fits into the flue collar.

Status
Not open for further replies.