wood stove on 2nd floor of house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szumbrun

Oct 25, 2010
Middletown, MD
Is it possible to have a stove on the second floor of a house, given that, for proper draft, a chimney needs to be around 14' tall min.?
It would look so goofy having this obscenely long chimney shooting out of the top of the roof.

sz,
Thats not really that tall when you stack off the stove.
Mine is 14, and 5 or 6 off the stove with 2-4 foot sections thru the roof from there.
2,4 - 10 rule with a shallow roof and i'm only about 5 ft tall.
rn

So 14' includes the stove pipe? I guess I assumed that The 14' was in addition to the stove pipe for some reason.
Thanks.
S

Yes, you got let off the hook a bit there huh. lol Measure from the stove but if there are any elbows, you need to add from 2-4' onto the height of the chimney. That said, you sometimes can get along with less. Mine is not 13' and we get along just fine.

Hehheh . . . you're right . . . it would look goofy having a 14 foot chimney sticking off a house . . . as mentioned the measurement starts once you leave the stove outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.