Wood stove on hydronic slab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maas

Jan 1, 2013
What a great source of information this forum is!

I'd like to install a Jotul F3CB directly on a hydronic heated concrete slab. It has just occurred to me that it's possible that without some kind of insulating hearth the water in the pex tubing may boil. Yikes!

If this is a valid concern what are my options for making a hearth? Is there any kind of high density insulating board out there that I can bond tile to? I'l like to keep a hearth as low profile as possible.

Can anyone tell me how hot the floor surface under an F3CB could potentially get?

Thanks for the help!

Assuming the stove is going to be put directly on the slab, is that correct? I don't think this is going to be an issue, but if you are concerned just put down a sheet of 1/2 Durock Next Gen under the tile. It's a moderately decent insulator that should bond to the concrete. But in reality, the slab will never get anywhere close to boiling temperature from the stove. I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.