Wood stove / pellet stove combo ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainely Saws

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2010
Topsham , Me.
I was reading another post & came across a member who used a combo of his wood stove & pellet stove when the temps dipped hard . I'm considering doing the same & running a pellet stove in the basement to help my 24/7 wood stove on the first floor . I'd be interested in hearing from folks on their combo set-up , how they use it & what the results are ......

I do just the oppostie, use the pellet stove as my primary heat supply and the wood stove as the secondary. This is the first year with this set up so it's to early to tell how it will work. Both stoves are on my 1st floor. I have noticed that when I fire up my wood stove it blows away the pellet stove. But it's been warm in the northeast. I do like having the flexibiltiy of using the pellet stove when we are out for long periods.

Mainely Saws said:
I was reading another post & came across a member who used a combo of his wood stove & pellet stove when the temps dipped hard . I'm considering doing the same & running a pellet stove in the basement to help my 24/7 wood stove on the first floor . I'd be interested in hearing from folks on their combo set-up , how they use it & what the results are ......

Yankee Pellet Stove / Lopi Liberty which are installed in the basement. When it reaches 20-30 below we use the pellet stove at night, set it on manual for the night, wake up with the upstairs 70. When the Liberty burns down you still have the heat from the pellet stove.

We had the pellet stove before we bought the land I cut on, after the purchase of the land we bought the Liberty. The last oil we bought was Jan 09, we still have 3/4 of a tank. Each year we use less pellets, next year the boss budgeted for 50 bags.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.