Wood Stove Placed In Front of Wall with Pocket Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rosem

Aug 27, 2019
Northern Michigan
How hot does the actual wall get behind a modern wood stove with the manufacturers clearances?

I just realized the wall I want to put our new F 55 on has a pocket door behind it and it's probably going to warp due to the heat.

Has anyone seen a similar situation?

You can see if the stove has a rear heat shield available, and/or airgap the hearth's backstop. Both will lower the temperature a lot.

If the stove is installed so that it honors all clearances, nothing should be getting over 170 if I recall? So additional measures may be called for if you have a nice solid wood pocket door that you want to take good care of.

The air gap only costs you an inch of space if you want to go that way.

Maybe some current owners of your stove will chime in with info about how warm it gets behind the stove, too.

Thank you for the info. The F 55 comes with a rear heat shield. It's 6" rear to combustibles with an additional flue collar heat shield.

Double walled stove pipe is 6" to combustibles or 6" to anything?