Wood stove purchase help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Because the BK will automatically dampen itself down as the temperature increases? Vs other stoves that won't/don't and would just continue to burn hot?

It seems a odd statement to me too. Proper wood and operation are what dictate creosote accumulation. I see as I'm sure you have too bholler that creosote issues are not specific to a stove, more the operator and the wood. The system as a whole can play a part too.

Reactions: bholler
Because the BK will automatically dampen itself down as the temperature increases? Vs other stoves that won't/don't and would just continue to burn hot?
yes but it is fine to do that with a bk which is why I don't see the issue.

Well I've never run one but I wonder if the stove damped itself down enough that the cat fell out of the active zone and no one was monitoring it if then it would/could produce creosote into the chimney?

No worries at all fellas, Im here to learn and have fun. Im not a salesmen on commision lol. i truly beleive the stove i have is just plain awesome. Not saying the other stoves are not at all. I would love to have a big ass fireplace insert to watch on christmas day drinking a nice beer, i just dont want to heat my whole house with it.

As far as the stove adjusting itself yes it does. Might not be as perfect as one says it is. But its pretty cool. The stove does not go out of control. You can dial the air to a certain amount and thats all the is let in, just make sure your in the active zone and close the byPass once You are. No electric or motors so u dont have to worry about power outtages. The most crucial part is dry wood the rest takes care of itself.

If i lived in canada i would drive to the closest dealer in the USA to get one for the way better price. Make a couple day trip out of it and come back. Your gonna be heating with wood for the next 10 years or so until you downsize i think you said earlier in the posts.

So if we do some math let say you use the stove 4 months out of the year.

4 months x 30 days=120 days
1 load a day= 120 loads for 120 days.

If we use something else lets say that you load 3x a day.
3 loads a day=360 loads for 120 days.

Now factor in the over priced Canadian prices (not gonna do the math on this dont wanna mess it up but someone can help me if they can)
Then take all the extra time for loading, splitting, stacking and then factor in what your time is worth.

I THINK THE BLAZE KING COMES IN WAY, WAY CHEAPER, because you are doing way less of everything,

Cause id rather be working and making real money then spending extra time loading my stove.

This is not meant to anger anyone just trying to help draw a picture for everyone.

Your numbers are skewed incredibly though. You don't burn three times as much wood to do the same heating just because you load three times instead of once. It just doesn't work that way. Wood has btus and stoves release those btus. If a low and slow delivery time works for your set up a cat could be a great option.

Then take all the extra time for loading, splitting, stacking and then factor in what your time is worth.
I still don't get why you think you will be saving on the cutting splitting and stacking yes you can get really long burn times but at lower btu output. A bk is only a little bit more efficient than non cats so you are not getting many more btus out of each piece of wood. Yes with the huge firebox of your king you can get more btus over a longer time than a smaller stove but you are still using just about the same amount of wood.

Took a picture to show you the magic. No flames but the stove top temp is around 400.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 209
I still don't get why you think you will be saving on the cutting splitting and stacking yes you can get really long burn times but at lower btu output. A bk is only a little bit more efficient than non cats so you are not getting many more btus out of each piece of wood. Yes with the huge firebox of your king you can get more btus over a longer time than a smaller stove but you are still using just about the same amount of wood.

Even the bigger boxes dont compare in burn times. Im not being unfair and comparing a 2 cu box.

Dude. I extended the olive branch, but you just seem intent on turning it into a cat vs noncat debate. Why?

You don't even seem to want to discuss things in a logical sense?

Heat output, wood use, burn time, efficiency. You're just popping all over the place bud and making no real sense.

Even the bigger boxes dont compare in burn times. Im not being unfair and comparing a 2 cu box.
I am not talking about burn times I am talking about btu output. Yes with your stove turned down it will burn longer but that does not mean you are getting more btus. There is only a certain amount of available heat in each piece of wood. If you house only needs a small amount then yes a bk where you can turn it way down and stretch out those btus makes sense. But not all of us have that. So if your heat requirements are high then you will have that stove turned up to meet that heat demand and your long burn goes away.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with a bk at all but you are not going to cut your wood use age in third over another modern stove unless you were overheating your house with that other stove. They dont make much more btus than other stoves they can just stretch out those btus over a longer time.

The OP has indicated they are looking for a quality, value stove. Hopefully today they have some time to see some of these stoves Points have been made, no need to keep on pounding them in. Until we hear back from eastcoastcanada with a decision or more questions, let's chill.

The OP has indicated they are looking for a quality, value stove. Hopefully today they have some time to see some of these stoves Points have been made, no need to keep on pounding them in. Until we hear back from eastcoastcanada with a decision or more questions, let's chill.

Im having fun and learning so I am 100 percent chill I hope I'm not making anybody mad.

I am not talking about burn times I am talking about btu output. Yes with your stove turned down it will burn longer but that does not mean you are getting more btus. There is only a certain amount of available heat in each piece of wood. If you house only needs a small amount then yes a bk where you can turn it way down and stretch out those btus makes sense. But not all of us have that. So if your heat requirements are high then you will have that stove turned up to meet that heat demand and your long burn goes away.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with a bk at all but you are not going to cut your wood use age in third over another modern stove unless you were overheating your house with that other stove. They dont make much more btus than other stoves they can just stretch out those btus over a longer time.

Yes I understand about the low and high output. And even at full output you can only use a certain amount of that heat cause the rest is going up the chimney right? I understand if a house is older and more leaky but the OP did not state that is this thread unless I am making a mistake. I'm only trying to explain my stove and the experience I have with it.

I can turn my baby up all the way and my downstairs will get 95 degrees+ on 10 degree nights and I'll still get 12 hrs out of it.

What I should of done is just stated my experience with my stove without giving its name.

I'm curious maybe we can start another thread so we don't ruin this one. Or maybe their is a thread that discusses burn times at full blast and burn times in low. Because to my knowledge all stoves have both functions. Would that be ok to start another thread?

I'm curious maybe we can start another thread so we don't ruin this one. Or maybe their is a thread that discusses burn times at full blast and burn times in low. Because to my knowledge all stoves have both functions. Would that be ok to start another thread?
sure start a new thread and we can discuss it but you are still missing the point that just because you get a longer burn time does not mean you are necessarily saving any wood. You say you can turn your 4 cubic foot stove up all the way and get 12 hours. Well I can turn mine up which is qute a bit smaller and get 6 to 8 hours easily depending on the wood I use as well so no wood real savings.

This thread certainly has me thinking more about cat stoves.
... I'm curious maybe we can start another thread so we don't ruin this one...

Too late, lol- Just kidding. I would like to see two new threads because the catalytic technology has certainly improved since I really did any research on them. I think it would do the industry good if there were the real life discussion about the cat technology successes and fails. With the quad and this stove there was certainly a learning curve for us and I wonder if it had been a catalytic stove if we would have plugged/damaged the Catalyst and voided the warranty within a month of operating it. (Edit #2: I guess this was my subconscious attempt at a parting shot) For me, I don't feel comfortable enough purchasing the cat technology with an expected life cycle and then being bound to a proprietary replacement down the road, if applicable or still available.

Edit #1- I read the whole thread but I missed begreen's comment about chilling, sorry.

Last edited:
Is there an online source for Pacific Energy, Quadrafire or other premium brands? I just feel that the local dealers are gouging and if I can get that Quadrafire down $400 - $500, I would just get it.
It will be a couple months before you can get a deal from a local retailer. Not sure how these prices compare to what you are seeing? http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/fswood.htm

There is nothing wrong with them being run on low but you would be loosing the warantee I am sure.
That's what I meant. I would imagine the store would be running all their stoves pretty low to avoid cooking customer so I was wondering how they managed to damage it. Must have been one hell of an over fire at some point.

Yes but you would have that with any stove and a stove with an automatic thermostat would do a better job of dealing with that than a stove without one. I still dont see why he said it would be more of an issue with a bk.
Perhaps other BK owners can chime in here but my dealer had an Ashford 30 running on low and the guy grabbed the 6" pipe with his bare hand and left it there for several seconds, then I did it. It was significantly cooler than the non-catylatic stove next to it which was also running with its drafter closed (low). So....at least in my particular case, low flue temps along with warm outside air in conjunction with high winds, would cause the stove to operate poorly requiring me to turn it up. The bimetal spring reacts to ambient room temperature not drastically changing outside temps and wild barometric pressure changes as with high winds. Remember....the catylatic combustor chemically reacts with the particulate mater and reduces it's flash point so it will incinerate at the lower exhaust temperatures that the stove is capable of going down to. I can only go by what the BK dealer in my area tells me, they are the experts but it all makes perfect sense to me. He said that the BKs were the best cat stoves on the market but they had a particular condition that was prevailant in out area.

This thread certainly has me thinking more about cat stoves.

Too late, lol- Just kidding. I would like to see two new threads because the catalytic technology has certainly improved since I really did any research on them. I think it would do the industry good if there were the real life discussion about the cat technology successes and fails. With the quad and this stove there was certainly a learning curve for us and I wonder if it had been a catalytic stove if we would have plugged/damaged the Catalyst and voided the warranty within a month of operating it. (Edit #2: I guess this was my subconscious attempt at a parting shot) For me, I don't feel comfortable enough purchasing the cat technology with an expected life cycle and then being bound to a proprietary replacement down the road, if applicable or still available.

Edit #1- I read the whole thread but I missed begreen's comment about chilling, sorry.
There are several past threads on this topic. Search on "cat vs". Not trying to discourage discussion on the topic, just trying to stay focussed on the OP's questions and needs.

No worries at all fellas, Im here to learn and have fun. Im not a salesmen on commision lol. i truly beleive the stove i have is just plain awesome. Not saying the other stoves are not at all. I would love to have a big ass fireplace insert to watch on christmas day drinking a nice beer, i just dont want to heat my whole house with it.

As far as the stove adjusting itself yes it does. Might not be as perfect as one says it is. But its pretty cool. The stove does not go out of control. You can dial the air to a certain amount and thats all the is let in, just make sure your in the active zone and close the byPass once You are. No electric or motors so u dont have to worry about power outtages. The most crucial part is dry wood the rest takes care of itself.

If i lived in canada i would drive to the closest dealer in the USA to get one for the way better price. Make a couple day trip out of it and come back. Your gonna be heating with wood for the next 10 years or so until you downsize i think you said earlier in the posts.

So if we do some math let say you use the stove 4 months out of the year.

1 load a day= 120 loads for 120 days.

If we use something else lets say that you load 3x a day.
3 loads a day=360 loads for 120 days.

Now factor in the over priced Canadian prices (not gonna do the math on this dont wanna mess it up but someone can help me if they can)

I THINK THE BLAZE KING COMES IN WAY, WAY CHEAPER, because you are doing way less of everything,

Cause id rather be working and making real money then spending extra time loading my stove.

This is not meant to anger anyone just trying to help draw a picture for everyone.
The low and slow burn of a BK would work for my newer home because of less heat loss but I simply don't have the money.

My local Canadian Tire store carries a Timbed Ridge 50-TNC30 which is the twin to the Englander 30NCH. Large fire box, 75000 btu and low emmisions at 1.63 g/hr. There's a lot of love for that stove here on hearth.com and it's within my price range. I can get it from them for $1400 CAD but my local home depot had the actual Englander 30NCH for $998 CAD but are currently out of stock.

The 30NC is a good stove that has earned a place in many homes here. What are Drolets going for in your neck of the woods?

I think the 30's a great looking stove brotherBart has a custom paint job on his that is really sharp I think. Can the HD get you one in in a timely fashion?

The low and slow burn of a BK would work for my newer home because of less heat loss but I simply don't have the money.
With a tight and well-insulated home, the temp swings and somewhat shorter burn times of a non-cat stove may not be as much of an issue...the house will retain heat for some time after stove output drops off. But you did mention frequent wind, which will probably shorten the heat retention time of the house somewhat.

I think the 30's a great looking stove brotherBart has a custom paint job on his that is really sharp I think. Can the HD get you one in in a timely fashion?
I'll find out today if Home Depot can order one in for me, the online shipping is $200. One thing that stands out is the 17" corner clearances. I'm putting the stove in the corner and that's a lot of clearance.