Wood Stove Removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ishmael1980

Jun 30, 2016
Norwalk, CT
Good morning, I have a small wood stove in the three season porch that our insurance company is requiring that we remove (it is a rental property and apparently the insurance companies frown on wood stoves when tenant occupied). I plan on reinstalling the stove if we sell the property down the road so I don’t want to remove the chimney. The stove was connected to a 6” DVL double wall stove pipe, up through a Duravent Ceiling Support Box which supported the DuraTech chimney pipe. On the interior, I’d like to close it off at the Support Box. Any thoughts on what I will need to neatly close it off? I’d like to close off with a cap like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQPXLE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but I’m not sure how I would adapt to my Ceiling Support Box.

For the exterior chimney, I was thinking about just wrapping some exterior weather seal tape around the chimney cap – unless someone can offer a better solution.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Waterford Stove.jpg

The cap might work, it's crimped to fit inside of another pipe. Another alternative is to seek out different insurance.

Many insurers are going to have an issue with a stove in a rental, and I'd not want tenants using a wood stove, anyway. Too much opportunity for neglect or abuse.

No, God Forbid I would not want a tenant operating a wood stove. We have 5 rental houses, high end places worth $250K and up. Still we get dumb ass tenants left and right. Would not trust them with a wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.