Wood Stove Selection - Jotul F50?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing a full spreadsheet of stoves in the 2 cu.ft. neighborhood. This all started with a few suggested stoves from begreen, and has expanded from there. As I find time, I am still filling in blanks, and finding conflicting info on a few of the stoves. I will try to post the results here soon, as they may help a few folks like Hawkeye. In my case, overall depth is one of the driving factors, and just finding that info on all of these stoves can be a challenge. I've also noted the suspisciously long "burn time" quoted by some manufacturers, although in most cases, I can find a specific distinction between "burn time" and "heat output time" if I dig thru their literature.

Well, I went and looked at a bunch more stoves, but ended up sticking with my original inquiry and ordered the F50.

Thanks for all the help and information! I can't wait to try it out. In clearing the lot for the new house I ended up cutting, splitting, and stacking approximately 7 cords (15 pallets worth) - mostly ash, cherry, and hickory. Should last awhile. IMG00427-20120714-1402.jpg

In clearing the lot for the new house I ended up cutting, splitting, and stacking approximately 7 cords (15 pallets worth) - mostly ash, cherry, and hickory. Should last awhile.

Or one winter for me.

20121201_152852.jpg Well - our house is nearly complete and we installed the Jotul F50 last week. While working on the house I decided to give the F50 it's first break-in burn. I know it's too early to tell but so far I'm impressed.....it was only 55 degrees out and rather damp outside but even so the setup drafted well and the air control on the stove demonstrated a wide range of control. Can't wait to get in the house in a couple weeks and really get it going!

Another thing I'm excited about - not sure if it's a great idea or not but we installed a duct in the floor with a variable speed duct fan which pulls cold air from 2 intakes on the far side of the house and blows cool air from those rooms behind the stove. You can't see it and the fan only draws a little over 100 W when on full, but really moves the air. My hope is to circulate a little air throughout the main floor without having to turn on the entire furnace fan.

Anyways, here's a pic.

Chad

Reactions: MasterMech
Status
Not open for further replies.