wood stove smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ab1492

Jan 15, 2011
upper sc
I have an older craft stove insert. I have used the stove several times this year. However, the other night I put some wood in and smoke started coming out of the top of the front plate along the top of the stove. I checked to see what was going on and noticed that the front plating at the top looks loose. Do I just need to somehow seal the plating back to the brick wall or is there a more serious problem?

Not an expert on inserts, but the only time that I have seen smoke come back is when I have a draft issue, usually associated with a partial blockage somewhere in my chimney (creosote or other obstruction). It may be possible that the top plate being loose allowed smoke to come back, but I would check your chimney, and your cap if you have one. Photos always help when you are explaining these types of issues.

Thank you, I will try that. Would extremely cold temperatures have anything to do with it? It was in the teens last night when I lit the fire. The stove was cold when I lit it.

If the smoke was exiting when you were reloading...hard to say. But if the fire door was closed and smoke was exiting the top I have to agree with Remkel that there's an obstruction...if you have a chimney cap check there 1st.

I want to be sure I am not misunderstanding the description. By plate, do you mean the insert's front surround? Do you know how this stove is connected to the chimney? If it is a slammer (no stub off the insert to the first tile in the chimney, no block off plate), then what happened is probably due to the cold, especially if this is an exterior chimney. We'll need a thorough description of how this insert is installed to determine more.

Status
Not open for further replies.