Wood Stove Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom NJ

Dec 9, 2010
Burlington County, NJ
Hey everyone, it's getting toward that time of year again and I am thinking of adding another stove to our home. We have a Hampton in our upstairs living room which heated the house (2020 sq/ft) nicely. However, to maintain 70-75 required loading it about every 5 hours. We have a second fireplace in our basement living room (the house is a split level) and I want to install a large wood stove that will sit half in the firebox and half out on the hearth. This area is an additional 550 sq/ft in addition to the rest of the house which makes that total sq/ft 2570.

I am looking for something that has a long burn time without a cat. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tell us the dimensions of the fireplace opening, the dimensions of the firebox interior, describe the existing hearth and chimney. Attach a photo if you can. Rick

fossil said:
Tell us the dimensions of the fireplace opening, the dimensions of the firebox interior, describe the existing hearth and chimney. Attach a photo if you can. Rick

Will do. Give me a day or so, there is an old on-the-hearth stove with a block off plate over the whole fireplace that I need to remove.

Okay, well that was much easier than I thought.

The front of the firebox is 30" tall and 35.5" wide. The box is 23" deep at the bottom and 16" deep at the top. The back of the firebox is about 26" wide and the hearth is 17" wide.

Tom, I'm bumping this post back up to the top. With the dimensions given, there are folks here who can comment on possible stoves. This is a very busy time on the forums, and sometimes a post can sort of get lost in the shuffle. Like this one did. Let's try it again. Rick

fossil said:
Tom, I'm bumping this post back up to the top. With the dimensions given, there are folks here who can comment on possible stoves. This is a very busy time on the forums, and sometimes a post can sort of get lost in the shuffle. Like this one did. Let's try it again. Rick

Thanks Rick.

So...anybody got any suggestions for Tom? Let's help this guy out, shall we? Rick

Long burn time without a cat are two objectives somewhat in tension. I had a "cat allergy" at one point, but have become convinced that for long/low overnight and workday burns with less creosote, a cat is ideal. Next stove will be a cat.

Re dimensions -- assuming no cat -- have you looked at inserts like the Jotul Rockland, which seems popular among those who own it?

LIJack said:
Long burn time without a cat are two objectives somewhat in tension. I had a "cat allergy" at one point, but have become convinced that for long/low overnight and workday burns with less creosote, a cat is ideal. Next stove will be a cat.

Re dimensions -- assuming no cat -- have you looked at inserts like the Jotul Rockland, which seems popular among those who own it?

I have an insert in one of my fireplaces. I am looking for a stove that would heat the house if we were without electric for an extended period of time which would also double as a cooktop.

It looks like there should be several that would fit. Are there any styles you like in particular? Any that you don't like?

First stove that comes to mind is the Englander 30NC, but I'm thinking an Enviro Kodiak 1700 (w/legs) would squeak in there. Though you'd have to tip it to get the flue collar under the lintel. Not sure about the Buck 74's pedestal height, but it could sit on the hearth without any surround or pedestal. A PE Summit would fit too. These are all steel stoves.

Lopi stoves are nice and a couple models (Revere and Republic) stick out 10" onto the hearth so that you could cook. They're upper end for heating capacity is around 2000 sq. ft. If you have something that sticks out far enough to cook on you're going to need to extend your hearth. As mentioned cat stoves have typically delivered longer burn times in "real world" reports, but a non-cat still have reasonable burn times as well.

LIJack said:

I agree, long burn times without a cat are kind of opposed to each other. Wish people would get past cataphobia. Cats work great and are easy if you understand the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.