wood stove suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tone

Oct 19, 2007
Long Island, NY
Hi everyone, great site. Learned quite a bit just lurking around a bit. I bought a house this past Spring that has an old VC Defiant in the living room. I estimate it to be as old as the house which was built in 1975. It's a small ranch about 1200 sf. Kit/dining area semi open to the living room and the bedrooms down the hall on the opposite side of the house from the wood stove. The defiant is going (I don't know where yet) and I'd like to replace it with with something new. I was looking at the PE Aldera models as well as the Hearthstone Shelburne.

Questions:

With the PE is the T4 enough or is the T5 better suited for this layout? I like the house warm, not too concerned about the LR getting too hot since I don't spend too much time in there.

What is the best way to get the heat down to the bedrooms? Is the optional built in fans worth the extra money or should I use a floor fan or something?

Any other stove suggestions under $2000?

Thanks,
Tony

The Alderlea is a good choice. Go for the T5. In your climate zone you will want the larger stove. And yes, get the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.