Wood stove surge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
Will there be one since there is a power issue on the east coast.....I didn't even get mine for that reason. I noticed my neighbor got a fresh green load of wood dropped off last night....Didn't know they had one!

I would guess, no. Usually there is a surge in wood stoves purchases when fuel costs spike. Fuel cost is high right now, but the increase hasn't been sudden.

A surge in generators will, and has, happened. The Cabelas by us brought in 750 generators on Wednesday morning. Sold them all before noon.

Will there be one since there is a power issue on the east coast.....I didn't even get mine for that reason. I noticed my neighbor got a fresh green load of wood dropped off last night....Didn't know they had one!

With a fresh load of green wood, they still don't have wood heat. Might be good to have the local fire marshal to send out an advisory to have flues cleaned after things return to normal.

And yes, I think wood stove sales will go up. My BIL was pretty complacent about having a generator until Irene knocked them out for a week. They are glad to have it now.

Well, I have been in FL the past few days, so I am a little out of touch with how the temps have been up here. I agree, fuel costs drive wood stove sales. I think people do not equate wood stoves with emergency heating, they equate generators to provide emergency power to their boilers. Many people do not see the purpose of doing all the work associated with wood burning only for emergency purposes.

I know I installed my stove for cost savings. Also gives me time outside the house and some exercise.

With a fresh load of green wood, they still don't have wood heat. Might be good to have the local fire marshal to send out an advisory to have flues cleaned after things return to normal.

And yes, I think wood stove sales will go up. My BIL was pretty complacent about having a generator until Irene knocked them out for a week. They are glad to have it now.
They got some seasoned wood....I made darn sure of that....specially since I'm the creepy wood guy....

Reactions: tfdchief
There was a line at tsc today for generators - line formed in the wood stove/accessories aisle but I didn't see anyone looking...

I have seen several surges in wood burners here over the last 40 years, but mostly they end up only a fad and are done in a couple of years. It is to much work if you don't enjoy it. For most it ends up just work.

I have seen several surges in wood burners here over the last 40 years, but mostly they end up only a fad and are done in a couple of years. It is to much work if you don't enjoy it. For most it ends up just work.
Hey Chief....G-D willing, I'm here to stay....

Hey Chief....G-D willing, I'm here to stay....
Good! Wood burning is way more than saving money, staying warm, being green, being prepared and self sufficient. For me, it is often times sanity. ;) Hope it will make you happy for many years to come.

Good! Wood burning is way more than saving money, staying warm, being green, being prepared and self sufficient. For me, it is often times sanity. Hope it will make you happy for many years to come.
I just had to chime in and say, I Like

staying warm
being green
being prepared and self sufficient
And if I go hand split some wood, I takes away, anger, anxiety,stress, and if your really pissed off you can tear up some wood ;lol:)

My own thinking . . . folks just burning wood to save money may find it works out in the short run, but in the long run they'll often go back to their old ways of flipping the switch when they decide it is too much work, too messy, too _____ (fill in the blank.) . . . and this is OK, since these folks often take the short cuts and end up getting burned . . . literally or figuratively.

Folks who start burning wood to save money and then discover the added benefits of being self-sufficient, some exercise, less dependent on foreign oil or the supply and demand pricing, etc. typically will continue to save money . . . but they make heating a way of life.

Reactions: remkel and tfdchief
Status
Not open for further replies.