Wood Stove to Gas Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EddyKilowatt

Nov 8, 2007
Central Coast California
Hi Folks...

My previous house is equipped with a small Avalon woodburning stove, installed in a brick fireplace and exhausting up a masonry chimney through a block-off plate and twelve vertical feet of insulated 6" stainless flex liner (single story house).

The house is now occupied by an elderly in-law who is not really up to firing a wood stove, though she loves the heat it makes. I'd like to fix her up with an equivalent freestanding gas stove that would be easier/safer for her to run, something designed for direct vent like the Hearthstone Stowe. There's already an active gas line to the fireplace, that used to run a set of gas logs back before I installed the Avalon.

You guys probably know what question's coming next: How much if any of my existing exhaust system (the block-off plate, 6" stainless liner, and stainless cap) could I use with a gas stove designed for direct vent? Gas stoves I've glanced at, like the Stowe, seem to be designed for a 4" vent... is it out of the question to connect this to a 6" insulated liner designed for wood? (I believe I'd take the intake air from the chimney flue space above the block-off plate, so the cold air would come from the same height as the exhaust vent.)

Having to re-do the vent system won't prevent me from doing this project, but it'll slow it down a fair bit... not to mention I'd hate to undo the work and $$ it took to put all those stainless parts in there, if I don't absolutely have to.

I assume this question comes up all the time but I couldn't locate anything with a search... am interested in any suggestions folks may have regarding the wood --> gas migration path.

thanks,
Eddy

Hey Eddie,

The Stowe uses co-axial vent pipe: a 4" exhaust is wrapped inside a 6-5/8" outer pipe, the space between providing passage for the incoming combustion air. There is a kit that will allow you to use your existing 6" liner as the outer pipe. The kit consists of co-axial fittings for the top and bottom of your liner: you add 4" aluminum flex to connect these two parts, a co-axial rain cap for the top, and whatever short lengths of co-axial pipe you'll need to go from the Stowe to the bottom fitting. Check out sketch #6 on our website at http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hodvent.htm

Thanks Tom, I hadn't considered that, but after reading around I see that looks pretty straightforward.

Would it be pushing things too far to run the 4" aluminum flex *inside* my 6" stainless pipe? With suitable wind-resistant cap at the top of the 4", and some kind of 6-5/8" to 6" adapter at the bottom?

Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.