Wood Stove venting question..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CK-1 said:
Simple question for the expers...

When installing a stand-alone wood stove, do you have to build a chimney or can you just route it outside for venting.. ?

You don;t have to build a brick chimney, but you need to run class A chimney pipe (essentially a prefab chimney) up through your roof.

Simple 'dryer vent' kind of deals like they use for pellet stoves aren't going to do it.

Steve

Yes, double wall insulated class A chimney (like Simpson Duravent) through the inside of the house and through the roof, to stove manufacturers recommended height (min. I've seen is 13 ft.). Depending on your specific site, location, climate, could be more. The chimney must be at least 3 feet higher than the highest point where it passes through the roof and at least 2 feet higher than the highest part of the roof or structure that is within 10 feet of the chimney, measured horizontally. You can use single or double wall stovepipe down to the stove. Double wall stovepipe will reduce required clearance to combustibles (like drywall).

Your best bet is to have all designed and installed by a certified professional, follow local building codes and get all proper permits and inspections.

well said Sue. To add to that, if you have a very long run of interior pipe i would recommed that you get double wall black. It will help with draft wich is sometimes hard to get with the newer EPA stoves.

Somebody put up some pictures a while back of why NOT to Direct Vent. Anyone remember?

joshuaviktor said:
Somebody put up some pictures a while back of why NOT to Direct Vent. Anyone remember?

The draft from my stove is pretty good. I can get a good 6-7 hours of burn time. So, the Direct Connection Kit for venting stays..
lol

Status
Not open for further replies.