wood stove vs boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colinmos

Aug 30, 2007
Newby here,

Ive been using a small woodstove in my cellar surounded on all sides and top with sheet metal. Ive got a 6 inch flexible stainless tubing coming out of the top of my sheetmetal box. An inline fan sucks the warm air up and pushes it into my living room. This seems to work great not having ever tried anything else. Its a small stove so I can only fend off the boiler till it gets around 25 degrees out. Ive just refurbished a 1996 Jotul firelight to replace the little stove and plan to add another duct in another part of the house. My freind thinks I should sell the stove and put in a wood boiler that will work with my dfw and dhw. Does this make sense considering the costs involved? Oh yeah Ive got a timer on the blower too.

Colin (Maine)

the wood gassifier is a good chunk of change $12000+ with storage, but the payback comes in a few years time. A complete burn, no smoke, efficient combustion with heat storage. It does'nt get any better. Keep reading these threads and you will come to the same conclusion as many here have.

Status
Not open for further replies.