Wood stove withdrawal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
On Friday 2-15-13 I went to make an adjustment to my stove door , as I was doing this the door handle froze up and I could not move it, Im 6/3 225 and couldn't budge it. Who knows what happened did some metal shavings build up, did I somehow jump a thread not sure. I contacted Bert from SBI aka Fyrebug and he had a new door in my hands today 2-22-13. First and foremost THANK-YOU BERT sooo much for your help. Well lets rewind, the last week has been hell, I had to run the furnace for a week straight, It was down right depressing, I had to set the thermostat at 68 and pay for nature gas. I cant count how many times the kids and wife complained because the stove was down while we waited for the door. Well the door is installed today and with kindling and two ash splits compliments of Backwoods Savage my house for the first time in a week is sitting at 73 degrees, a state of euphoria has set in the house. We as a family even the pups missed the insert, you truly do not know what you have until its gone. A couple weeks ago Dennis aka Backwoods Savage brought me about a cord of dry ash, he did this one because he's a great person and two because he cared i ran out of dry wood, I couldn't believe it, he brought it over while i was at work Thank-You Backwoods Savage for the wood I truly appreciate it.

Nice, nice story. Welcome back to the land of the living!

I'm a recent convert to wood-burning myself, motivated initially by the literally bankrupting cost of fuel oil. But even if I suddenly became rich or the price of fuel oil fell through the floor, I'd never give up my woodstove. I feel sorry for people trudging through life with oil burners in the basement and an automatic thermostat on the wall.

Dennis is the best!

On Friday 2-15-13 I went to make an adjustment to my stove door , as I was doing this the door handle froze up and I could not move it, Im 6/3 225 and couldn't budge it. Who knows what happened did some metal shavings build up, did I somehow jump a thread not sure. I contacted Bert from SBI aka Fyrebug and he had a new door in my hands today 2-22-13. First and foremost THANK-YOU BERT sooo much for your help. Well lets rewind, the last week has been hell, I had to run the furnace for a week straight, It was down right depressing, I had to set the thermostat at 68 and pay for nature gas. I cant count how many times the kids and wife complained because the stove was down while we waited for the door. Well the door is installed today and with kindling and two ash splits compliments of Backwoods Savage my house for the first time in a week is sitting at 73 degrees, a state of euphoria has set in the house. We as a family even the pups missed the insert, you truly do not know what you have until its gone. A couple weeks ago Dennis aka Backwoods Savage brought me about a cord of dry ash, he did this one because he's a great person and two because he cared i ran out of dry wood, I couldn't believe it, he brought it over while i was at work Thank-You Backwoods Savage for the wood I truly appreciate it.
Awesome.....

Reactions: etiger2007
I don't normally read long posts like that, nor do I read much here since I'm a pellethead but glad I read your story and high five to Dennis whoever he is!
Dennis is one of the mods here, a veteran woodburner and maybe the nicest guy on the planet. Says he has an ornery wife, though. Goes by the screen name Backwoods Savage.

Dennis did the same for me my first season, although he didn't deliver it. What's up with that!? ;lol

One thing to be thankful for is you had a back up heat source!

Reactions: Xena and etiger2007
Dennis strikes again.
This is a good thing.
Just curious Ed, what the cost is for that little excursion back into natural gas-ville.:eek:

I will let you know when I get the bill, id guess my consumers bill with electric will be in the $275 range

I should call him he would have chimed in by now if everything was ok, Ill make the call tomorrow because its starting to get late.

OUCH.
At least it's not snowing in the house.
I have a family of four me the wife and an 11 year old and and a 15 year old and I groan about people leaving lights on and just being wasteful in general and nobody gets it. When the boys move out I will leave their lights on, stand looking in their fridge for minutes at a time, waste their food, turn their heat up or central air down, eat all their food. Just saying lol

Reactions: Todd 2
I have a family of four me the wife and an 11 year old and and a 15 year old and I groan about people leaving lights on and just being wasteful in general and nobody gets it. When the boys move out I will leave their lights on, stand looking in their fridge for minutes at a time, waste their food, turn their heat up or central air down, eat all their food. Just saying lol
Trade you 2 girls for 2 boys, Not only do they do what you said, they also know EVERYTHING. lol

Todd 2

Awesome story about the generosity of people on this forum. Now I just need to move closer to Michigan. I wonder what customers would say as a cord of wood crosses the border.. :)

Another stellar service by SBI.

Way to go Bert and Dennis!

Funny story...just a week ago I had the handle break off of my wood boiler. It was in the morning and I had to get to work so i used ratchet straps to hold it closed until I got home to deal with it. Fortunatly I had planned on replaceing the stove in the near future. This just rushed me along.

I can agree that not having the wood stove was tough. We had a cold snap the next few days and my electric backup just could not keep up! I am glad to have the new wood boiler in place.

Glad you were able to get yours fired back up...

Dennis is one of the mods here, a veteran woodburner and maybe the nicest guy on the planet. Says he has an ornery wife, though. Goes by the screen name Backwoods Savage.
He's not a mod, Gyrfalcon, but he should be! Actually he could probably start his own woodburning website and he'd take a large percentage of the people here with him........;)

The man is a true-hearted soul, one of the nicest people I've hever met on the 'net (actually anywhere, for that matter), just the actions he did for Etiger AND others shows the caliber of person he is........a class act all the way around.....

Reactions: milleo and Todd 2
I will let you know when I get the bill, id guess my consumers bill with electric will be in the $275 range

Wholly Sheep Terds, that is insane. With natural gas prices being at their lowest in years, I'm surprised the bill would be that high for 1 week of heating. I have propane and it is selling for $1.73 per gallon right now. I full tank of gas costs around $600 bucks and that lasts me about 2 months in this drafty freakin' house. Natural gas is about half the cost of propane right now..

Wholly Sheep Terds, that is insane. With natural gas prices being at their lowest in years, I'm surprised the bill would be that high for 1 week of heating. I have propane and it is selling for $1.73 per gallon right now. I full tank of gas costs around $600 bucks and that lasts me about 2 months in this drafty freakin' house. Natural gas is about half the cost of propane right now..

$275 will be for a month. My bill usually runs $200 per month, I burn when I get home from work and 24 hrs on weekends. We will see i could be over shooting it alittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.