Wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rskb44

Mar 30, 2016
rskb44
hello looking for some advice. we installed a new Newmac Wood Stove for my parents one year ago. As of late my parents are having trouble getting the wood to burn. The only way seems to be to keep the door open a little. It appears there is no draft or something may have happened to the controls. All feels and seems ok but as I said unless you open the door the wood won't burn. Any suggestions

Did you check the chimney cap to see if it's dirty?

Dirty chimney / chimney cap, also wood could be wet, hardly believe the stove controls could be the issue, especially on a new working stove.

If you have no draft, could be an air problem on the stove, but that's not nearly as lilely as a plugged chimney cap or flue. Hop up onto the roof and sweep the chimney. The most likely culprit is the mesh on the cap.

I like to put a work light with a bright bulb in the stove after I sweep and clean up, then go back up top and peer down the pipe. After that, you feel pretty confident that you have good air flow!

Milder temps reduce draft. If the stove flue height is marginal or too short draft can fail during mild weather. Flue obstruction, particularly at the cap, is another possibility if the flue height is good.

If the flue is not a problem, did they change wood source recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.