WOOD STOVES AND RUBBER ROOFS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldippel

Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2010
texas
Hello I am seriously contemplating installing a wood stove in an old turn-of-the-century single-story mercantile building. It has a typical flat roof that slopes gently to the rear. The local wood stove company proposes to run the stove pipe straight vertical, penetrate the roof. The roof is of the rubber "EPDM" type. I have concerns about possible stray cinders damaging (perhaps even burning) the roof. A more expensive alternative might be to make the stove pipe penetration through a side wall. Any insights/suggestions? See attachment.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 802
lkd said:
What is the tee system?

That is the through the wall setup. That EPDM is gonna be fine. Take a piece and try to burn a hole in it. It ain't easy with something as light as a cinder out of a chimney.

My biggest concern would be that the pipe installers can run that pipe up through a roof with gradual pitch and keep it from leaking water. Heavy rain tends to build up and slowly move across a roof like that. a simple triangle shape dam of flashing about 2 feet uphill from the pipe will divert some water around it. Hope they seal it well.

I have a TPO roof with two chimneys spewing non-visible woodstove exhaust above it daily, with no problems. If you're worried about flying embers igniting the rubber, put a layer of smooth rocks for ballast around the chimney.

Chances are whoever is installing your chimney isn't going to have or even know about the correct adhesive to seal the flashing to the epdm. You might want to ask your roofer about it before the installers get started.

How are you going to flash the pipe coming up through the EPDM?

My stove dealer looked at the roof on my cabin and said he needed to call in a roofing company to ensure there wouldn't be any leaks (the metal roof has ridges every few inches...not a wide expanse of flat metal). The roofing company will do the roof penetration and sealing and the stove dealer will do the stove and pipe, working together on the same day. I'll pay a little extra, but I don't want any leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.