Wood Stoves May Cause Cancer, Heart Disease

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNJ

Feeling the Heat
Sep 25, 2009
Burlington County
yeah, unless you are having some problem with your stove or chimney setup, I don't think you would be breathing a ton of woodsmoke IN your house.

I really doubt that it could be anywhere near as bad as smoking, or being exposed to second hand smoke in a house - not trying to bash smokers, just using an example for perspective.

I think this study should be reevaluated using a chimney. Sorry but I just don't trust much of what "science" throws into the media anymore.

they're not working on getting particle and chemical combustion by-products down to a minimum because they are good for anybody.

they could probably do a similar study with the mold that grows in the dust on the tops of books in a bookcase.
some people are sensitive to it and some aren't. Fror those that aren't it doesn't mean the dust and mold isn't there, they just aren't sensitive to it.

Every time you reload or have a back puff a few smoke particles get in the house.
It a rather minimal amount, but if you are sensitive t o it, it can mean you can't have a wood stove in the house.

no one is proposing the elimination of wood stoves, cars or oil burners, yet, just because of a few particles.

Although, those in the wind turbine electricity generation industry might like to keep funding studies like these. :)

Yes, and all the people in NYC , Long Island, and New Jersey are super healthy from traffic, airports....
simply BS

Here's the original article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...toves-can-cause-cancer-and-heart-disease.html

Here's a quote:
"He and colleagues compared the air from the centre of a Danish village with many wood stoves to a neighbouring area with few of them. They also analysed pure wood smoke particulate matter (WSPM) collected from a wood stove. "

Here's the abstract of the research:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1021/tx100407m

I won't quote any of it, because it's over my head.

It makes sense that it's true, but it's also true that burning coal causes problems. The question is where are the problems caused, and which are worse in aggregate. From my own personal point of view, even if society is worse off, I know I'm better off for the exercise I get chopping, splitting, stacking, and hauling wood.

they didn't mention how wood stoves cause pregnancy
more wood on the fire= less clothing on the ladies lol!

It is amazing the cavemen, Indians, cowboys etc. ever survived since they were sitting around open fires all the time.

Just about everything will kill you, given enough time or exposure.

European villages tend to be clustered with house on top of one another on small individual patches of land. If most of the homes were heating with wood, it wouldn't be surprsing for them to have some pretty bad air, particularly if the majority of the wood stoves were of the older variety. Smoke from heating fires of all kinds has been a major polluter in Europe for centuries. The killer smogs in London being the prime example.

And these days you have to ask who paid for the study. Wouldn't surprise me to find out it was funded by some oil and gas industry group....

KTLM said:
I think this study should be reevaluated using a chimney. Sorry but I just don't trust much of what "science" throws into the media anymore.

Generally the media isn't about science, its about ratings.

WhitePine said:
Just about everything will kill you, given enough time or exposure.

European villages tend to be clustered with house on top of one another on small individual patches of land. If most of the homes were heating with wood, it wouldn't be surprsing for them to have some pretty bad air, particularly if the majority of the wood stoves were of the older variety. Smoke from heating fires of all kinds has been a major polluter in Europe for centuries. The killer smogs in London being the prime example.

Yes, it is a proven fact that an excessive number of birthdays is one of the leading causes of death.

Ed

What does this say about intentional burn offs of the brush build up that the forest service does in order to minimize risk of forest fires? Many times that smoke will hang around for a week in the summer.

I definitely get more smoke when I cook outdoors , smoking ribs or a shoulder. Indoors I have a HEPA rated filter going and pretty much feel that anything that gets past that isnt going to be stopped anyway

The research may have been sponsored by the "Trees are people too!" folks.

homebrewz said:

Please allow me to edit that for correctness. ;-)

Attachments

• Edit.png
    Edit.png
    2 KB · Views: 384
GolfandWoodNut said:
It is amazing the cavemen, Indians, cowboys etc. ever survived since they were sitting around open fires all the time.

Ya, they had those long healthy lives- LOL

Wood smoke is bad for you. There's no 2 ways about it. One of the reasons I never moved to a smokey Danish village- that and the fact that they yammer away in primitive gibberish.

WhitePine said:
homebrewz said:

Fair enough.. I'm generalizing about some small town evening news type broadcasts. What I mean about this story is it sounds a bit sensationalistic.

homebrewz said:
WhitePine said:
homebrewz said:

Fair enough.. I'm generalizing about some small town evening news type broadcasts. What I mean about this story is it sounds a bit sensationalistic.

Hmebrewz, I hope you weren't offended. That was intended as a snarky comment regarding the media. Nothing more.

DonNC said:
What does this say about intentional burn offs of the brush build up that the forest service does in order to minimize risk of forest fires? Many times that smoke will hang around for a week in the summer.

I definitely get more smoke when I cook outdoors , smoking ribs or a shoulder. Indoors I have a HEPA rated filter going and pretty much feel that anything that gets past that isnt going to be stopped anyway

The research may have been sponsored by the "Trees are people too!" folks.

HehHeh . . . the last comment reminded me of a story on NPR last night where a group of folks were giving a "welcome" chant to a cedar tree that they were transplanting . . . the woman who wrote the chant was talking all about how she thought the tree would do better if it felt welcome . . . I just kind of rolled my eyes into the back of my head (well not really since this would have been dangerous since I was driving home at the time) . . . and of course wondered about the BTU of this tree. ;)

And an even greater threat than wood smoke . . .

http://dhmo.org/

It is perhaps the most troubling thing I have seen. ;) :)

White Pine: No worries, none taken. I just wanted to clarify my previous comment.

The previous post reminds me of yet another NPR story, but this one was on April Fools Day. It was about maple trees that were exploding in Vermont because of a shortage of workers to tap them.

Status
Not open for further replies.