Wood Stress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
Got Wood said:
CowboyAndy said:
cozy heat said:
Makes you long for the 'good ole days' when all you had to do was push a button or turn a dial on the wall and heat magically came out of the vents!

This new fangled stuff - now you've got cutting, felling, bucking, loading, hauling, unloading, splitting, stacking, seasoning, hauling to the stove, stoking, burning, ash removal and disposal - and perilous conditions at every step!

You forgot limbing!

And proper Kindling

winching and skidding

Ya, plus I didn't even get in to chimney sweeping, snow shoveling to get to the pile and tarp tying keep the snow off the stacks. Aye! Why do I burn wood again?!? Oh yeah...it's "free"...well, that and the beer!

stejus said:
Add getting weird looks from your better half while drinking beer and enjoying the activity on hearth.com. I always get "who you chatting with, your wood buddies". I try to tell her "it's not a chat room, it's a forum to share and learn wood knowledge".

"your wood buddies"

Hmmm, I wonder what she thinks you're up to?

stejus said:
Bootlegger said:
kork said:
And nobody mentioned sitting back enjoying a "cold refreshing beveredge" (aka beer). and admiring your hard work, while getting weird looks from your better half.

Amen Brutha!

Add getting weird looks from your better half while drinking beer and enjoying the activity on hearth.com. I always get "who you chatting with, your wood buddies". I try to tell her "it's not a chat room, it's a forum to share and learn wood knowledge".

I get " Will you stop staring at your wood stacks for just a minute and take out the trash".

Then there's all that aroma therapy, assuming of course that you have nice smelling wood.

Add getting weird looks from your better half while drinking beer and enjoying the activity on hearth.com. I always get "who you chatting with, your wood buddies". I try to tell her "it's not a chat room, it's a forum to share and learn wood knowledge."

I get "Will you stop staring at your wood stacks for just a minute and take out the trash."

Ha-my stacks and processing area are in full view of my back deck where the grill is. Sometimes I'll stand out there while I'm grilling with a beer in hand just admiring my stacks and I'll walk down to the pile to move a piece that's shifted or even take a couple of whacks at a round with the maul. It doesn't take long before "Stop playing with the wood and pay attention to the (insert food here) before it burns!"

Seriously though, I can honestly say that practically all I know about wood burning I learned from hearth.com. Sure, I built many a camp fire as a kid, but I knew nothing about proper chimneys, air controls, etc... However, I think the very nature of web forums themselves gets us bogged down in the details when start talking about the BTU content of pin oak vs. white oak, the best moisture meter, the stickler vs. a conventional splitter vs. a maul (fiskers vs. regular 6lb vs. regular 8lb), when to use outside air, when not to use outside air, when not to use outside with a barometric damper with a chimney taller than 19', when to use outside air with a barometric damper on an EPA stove (vs. a non EPA stove) when feeding it with wood at 18% moisture (vs. 21% moisture), and of course there's always pellets vs. wood ;)

LLigetfa said:
Then there's all that aroma therapy, assuming of course that you have nice smelling wood.

Ha, last night the wife says, "I think the neighbors cat pee'd in the flower bed again." I said, "No, you're just setting about 7 feet from a pile of freshly split elm." One wood aroma I could do without!

I find ("manual") wood splitting to be a great stress releif. Noting like bashing on things with an ax or a maul to get some pent up aggression out.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Hurricane said:
Wood is one of my stress relief's
Me too! I enjoy pretty much everything about it.

The most therapeutic of all is watching it burn.

LLigetfa said:

Amen to that and a great reward, warmth :)

stejus said:
LLigetfa said:

and not writing a check to the gas company! Talk about stress relief!

Interesting where there thread has gone.... I originally posted as a sarcastic comment to some of the heated debating in other threads. In reality, I quickly learned that the biggest benefit to me of the "wood world" is the stress relief I get from it. My guess, most of us here reading this feel the same or we wouldnt be here reading this.... now get out there and take a few whacks at a round!

quads said:
stejus said:
LLigetfa said:

and not writing a check to the gas company! Talk about stress relief!

quads nailed it.
They say laughter reduces stess. Heck, nowadays you can join Laughter Clubs or do Laughter Yoga.
Ratman says; "Save the money, go outside and wait for the oil truck to stop at your neighbors, or if in a rush, wait 5 minutes until you hear his burner fire on again. Then chuckle, laugh or lay flat and make snow angels."

Status
Not open for further replies.